Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fahrenheit 451

1. May 5, 2006 #1
    My electronic class is almost over, <thank god>. Unfortunately, I have what I call a "barnes n' noble" book. You know when you walk into barnes n noble and you go to the science section and you see a bunch of math/physics/engineering books. You always pick one up to see what's inside, but you know even before you open it that its going to be crap. My electronics book is like that, :mad:.

[​IMG]

can we say junkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk?

Last edited: May 5, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. May 5, 2006 #2

siddharth

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

cyrus, what topics does your electronic class cover?

4. May 5, 2006 #3
    • Introduction, Charge, current, voltage, Ohm’s law, KCL, KVL
    • Power & Energy, resistances series and parallel
    • Sources, single loop and node circuits, voltage and current divider principles, node-voltage analysis
    • Mesh current analysis
    • Thevenin and Norton Theorems, impedance matching (maximum power transfer)
    • Superposition principle, Wheatstone bridge
    • Exam I (Monday, 3/6/06) Energy storage elements: capacitors & inductors
    • First-order networks, transients
    • SPRING BREAK
    • Second-order networks
    • Sinusoidal sources, complex numbers, Phasors, complex impedance, AC analysis
    • Diodes
    • Transistors, MOSFET
    • Exam II (Wednesday, 4/26/06)
    • Operational amplifiers
    • Operational amplifiers, cont’d
    • Final Exam, Saturday 5/13/06 10:30am-12:30pm

I have to take part II next semester. :frown:

(You never sent me that email sid)

5. May 5, 2006 #4
    Its ok, I hate electronics too. My electronics class is what convinced me I want nothing to do with experimental work.

6. May 5, 2006 #5

siddharth

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Then, I recommened Electrical Engineering Fundamentals by Vincent Del Toro. I found it really useful for a similar course last semester.

Oh, and I'll send the email. I just have scan or type it first.

7. May 5, 2006 #6
    Interesting front cover. So what are the applications of EE, for playing american football?

8. May 5, 2006 #7

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: yeahhhhhhhhhhh, read EE in my spare time :rofl: :rofl: you're funny sid. :biggrin:

9. May 5, 2006 #8
    I just noticed the title of this thread. In my experience, it is far less cost-effective to burn textbooks for heating, than to use them for squashing cockroaches. Also, doorstops, and as counterweights for various machinery.

10. May 5, 2006 #9

Curious3141

Homework Helper

Don't forget double duty as dumbbells. Who says nerds have to be skinny ?

11. May 5, 2006 #10

siddharth

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I was only trying to help :blushing:

You could also try selling it second-hand.

Last edited: May 5, 2006
  12. May 5, 2006 #11

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

I thought I was the only one who had that experience when looking at most of the "engineering" books at Borders and B&N. I think the only thing I like about my local Borders is that they tend to stock a lot of the Dover books which are usually very inexpensive and pretty comprehensive.

13. May 5, 2006 #12

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

Or keep Vincent Del Toro's book as a reference. You never know when you might need it. :biggrin:

Hambley's book is published by the same company, Prentice Hall. It would appear that Hambley's book replaced Del Toro's as the main one.

Del Toro's book is available from Amazon at low prices (used).

I think Siddharth's offer was quite decent.

Best wishes on your finals, Cyrus! :smile:

14. May 5, 2006 #13

Astronuc

Dover is the only reason I would go to Borders books.

I think the quality of many so-called 'science or technical' books is rather mediocre. Mostly they are pop science or more qualitative than quantitative.

Actually bookstore's at Universities, which have strong science or engineering programs, generally have a good selection - especially Springer Verlag's Yellow books. I really miss the access to a good technical library and bookstore. :frown:

15. May 5, 2006 #14

Danger

Gold Member

Astro, have you thought about trying the approach that I used? Our local university and the technical college both have a policy of giving free library cards to professional writers for research purposes. I was one at the time, but the point is that they never even asked for any credentials. You can legitimately call yourself a pro writer based upon the papers you write (or have written, if you don't do that any more).

16. May 5, 2006 #15

Astronuc

I do go up to RPI's Library on occasion, but that is slightly more than 90 minutes away. I used to be about 15 minutes by bicycle back in grad school. Well, I miss university too. Maybe some day I'll go back and teach.

I still publish, but most of my work is proprietary or otherwise sensitive, so it gets distributed only to those who need to know. :cool:

17. May 5, 2006 #16

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:cool:

Apparently some people just don't appreciate the finer subjects. :grumpy:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?