1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Failing A Class

1. Oct 18, 2008 #1
    So I think I'm going to fail linear algebra. Has anyone else ever failed a course? My worry is, is that I also didn't do very well in discrete mathematics. I realize linear algebra is very important, & I'm not exactly sure why I'm doing so poorly. Whether its me not being able to understand the abstract concepts, study habits, textbook (I tend use various textbooks as the one we use I just can't seem to understand very well), etc. Anyway, if its me, should I start to look to major in something else besides physics? I'm doing well in the introductory physics courses, but I'm worried about the higher physics classes if I'm struggling already with linear algebra. Guess I'm just looking for some advice or insight. Don't really need anything sugar coated, as I'd like to now before I get in way over my head. I tutor math/science & I'm not use to not doing well... but then again, I also realize proof based mathematics is a totally different game.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 19, 2008 #2

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

Are some of your prerequisite knowledge or concepts to the current Discrete Math or Linear Algebra courses weak? You must know your own mind to answer this. Course credit alone in the prerequisites means nothing.

If you do one or both of the current courses over again, could you learn better or earn a better grade? If yes, then you know what to do. Also, maybe take fewer math courses each term; you have two of them now? (You said, Discrete Math and Linear Algebra, two courses). Sometimes, you just may not have enough time in a semester to learn everything well; repeated exposure over several months helps; more hours spent on less material at a time helps.

4. Oct 19, 2008 #3
    You have half a semester left. Don't fail.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?