Failing and how to deal with it

• Thread starter TronicGuy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Failing
In summary, the speaker has recently failed a module and is feeling distraught about it. They realize their problem is lack of focus and burnout. They want to prove to themselves that they can achieve straight A's next semester and are seeking tips from someone with a similar experience. Other speakers suggest taking a look at motivation, health, and distractions, as well as focusing on learning rather than grades.
TronicGuy
Hi there.

I recently just received my results (situated in SA) and for the first time, I've FAILED a module! I feel heartbroken about it, mostly because I know I didn't work hard enough and it eats at me that things could have been different had I only studied.

I realized my problem is that I don't focus enough and I spend the minimum time on my work. I also get burnt out very quickly.

I feel so distraught having to repeat a module I could have passed the 1st time round.

Now that I have failed though, I feel I need to prove to myself that I can pull off straight A's next semester. What can I do to help stay more focused? I really need tips from someone who has been through a similar experience.

Regards

Physics news on Phys.org
I strongly suspect you already know the answer to this.

You need to take a good look at what you're doing. There are all sorts of reasons for having trouble with motivation. Is this a maturity issue? Are you over-committed? What about general health factors (eating right, exercise, sleep)? Why are you in the program you're in?

Choppy hit the nail on the head. Proper diet, schedule and exercise is critical to your success.

Additionally, it may be helpful to find a quiet and secluded place, and make a list of all of your distractions. Write down every single thing that conflicts with your goal. Knowing your weaknesses is half the battle.

As long as you use it as a learning experience and build on from that, this is the main thing.

Remember what makes the character of a person is how they deal with things when they go all bad, not when they are going right. It's easy to deal with things that are good, but its a real test of character when things are not going good.

In light of your situation, I took 19 hours last semester and got burnt out pretty quickly, but looking back I now know why. This may help with your situation and it may not but for me, I found that I lost sight of why I was even going to school in the first place. My first semester I had no expectations grades wise and so all I was focused on was immersing myself in the material and LEARNING. I absolutely loved it, was very motivated, and did well. Come second semester, I felt that I HAD to get straight A's so I was no longer learning for the enjoyment of learning, but I was just "going through the motions" to get A's. I lost motivation and sight of why I wanted to go to school and it became a competition rather than a journey. When you are enjoying what you're learning, then you will actually WANT to study. Don't worry about grades so much as actually learning the material and the good grades will come along with it. Hope this helps...

jbrussell93 - Inspiring post and excellent advice!

What is failure?

Failure is the inability to achieve a desired outcome or goal. It is a natural part of life and can occur in any aspect, whether it be personal, professional, or academic.

Why is failure important?

Failure is an essential part of the learning and growth process. It allows us to learn from our mistakes and improve ourselves for future endeavors. It also builds resilience and character, making us more equipped to handle challenges in the future.

How should one deal with failure?

The first step in dealing with failure is to acknowledge and accept it. It is important to reflect on what went wrong and why it happened. Then, it is crucial to learn from the experience and make necessary changes for future attempts. It is also important to maintain a positive attitude and not let failure discourage you.

What are some strategies for coping with failure?

One strategy is to focus on the lessons learned from the experience rather than dwelling on the failure itself. It is also helpful to seek support from friends, family, or a therapist. Additionally, setting realistic goals and creating a plan for improvement can help overcome feelings of failure.

How can failure lead to success?

Failure provides valuable lessons and insights that can contribute to future success. It allows us to identify weaknesses and areas for improvement, ultimately leading to growth and development. Additionally, experiencing failure can create a sense of determination and motivation to keep striving for success.