Struggling with Statics: Any Tips for Improvement?

In summary, if you are struggling with statics, you might want to consider some online resources or consulting with your instructor.
belvol
Hello all,
I am a 19 year old female currently in my first semester of engineering school. I have taken other classes such as Physics I and Calculus I & II and done pretty well in them. Today I got my statics exam score back and received a 60%...the average was a 72%. A 60% puts me at the very bottom of a D...and I've been working much harder than D work. I have been putting on average 3 hours of work into the class per lecture, asking questions to tutors, and visiting the professor when appropriate. I know that statics is a class that people either really struggle with or find simple...I believe the concepts are pretty simple, but for some reason I'm struggling to put the bigger picture together. It might be because I haven't taken linear algebra yet so a lot of the math we were doing the first week was completely unfamiliar to me.
I guess I'm just wondering how statics went for some other people. My first test is only 20% of my grade...and I'm doing everything I can to get all 15% of the homework grade. Does anyone have any online resources they have found especially helpful? What were your best habits for studying statics (I understand what works for you might not work for me...but maybe I haven't thought of something simple...)? I'm trying to stay positive and tell myself this one test does not reflect my engineering career, but it's the first test I've ever failed and I've put A LOT of effort into that class...

Physics news on Phys.org
I've had the same experience before and what I can say is that don't dwell on this one test as it is one of MANY. Just keep your head up and work as hard as you have been prior to getting your result.

I'd most definitely request a consultation with your lecturer/tutor to go over said exam and see where you went wrong. This will allow you to reflect on your course of action in regards to how you study for the class. THEN try and locate resources to work on your weaknesses.

You don't provide much context. It would help with diagnostics if you could articulate what, exactly, was the cause of the poor grade.
  • missed the concepts?
  • did not put the problems into the correct solution format requested by instructor?
  • goofed the units?
  • goofed the coordinate systems and Free Body Diagrams?
  • math boo-boos?
Statics is one of those courses that starts the students on a 4-year trajectory through their curriculum. It forces the student to adopt a set of disciplines & behaviors that are necessary to be successful. The engineering curriculum is not for everyone. Statics is usually one of the first courses where students discover this simple truth. It comes easy to some of those "mutants from another planet" who just glide through it (I hate those mutants, BTW). For most of us mere mortals, the path to success is through the Swamp of Hard Work. And for statics that usually means working problems until your fingers bleed in order to achieve mastery. Only after that, in most cases, will you start to build the necessary rigor and discipline of problem set up, attack, & analysis, be able to recognize and deploy the multi-step solution patterns of the problems which provide the means to drive it to a conclusion.

One of my students last semester also complained of studying hours, but not doing well. We evaluated his "studying" and saw that he was burning hours doing useless stuff (e.g., manually re-copying PowerPoint slides) because his study skills were so weak. He hated doing the grunt work of reading & absorbing the material and concepts, putting pencil to paper to explore & practice the concepts and methods, and gaining knowledge and subject matter mastery through hard-won experience. He thought everything should be a Google-search away and my version of "studying" was for losers and gray-haired dinosaurs like me. Luckily I was able to convince him otherwise and his grades improved dramatically.

Likes jedishrfu

What is statics?

Statics is a branch of mechanics that studies the behavior of objects at rest or in a state of constant motion.

Why is statics important?

Statics is important in many areas of engineering and science, as it helps us understand how forces and structures interact and how to design and build stable and efficient structures.

What are some common causes of failure on a statics exam?

Some common causes of failure on a statics exam include lack of understanding of key concepts, insufficient practice and preparation, and poor time management during the exam.

How can I improve my performance on a statics exam?

To improve your performance on a statics exam, it is important to thoroughly understand the key concepts and practice solving problems regularly. It can also be helpful to seek help from a tutor or study group, and to manage your time effectively during the exam.

What should I do if I fail a statics exam?

If you fail a statics exam, it is important to not get discouraged and to use this as an opportunity to identify areas where you need to improve. You can also reach out to your professor for additional help and resources and consider retaking the exam in the future.