How much would a human weigh if they were six inches tall?

• Thread starter Fiction Alchemist
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about a science-fiction/fantasy author asking for help in determining the weight of a six-inch tall human, which is the size of their fairies in their book. The weight is estimated to be around 0.1 pound or less due to their smaller size and potential adaptations like hollow bones. The author also mentions that their fairies do not have the ability to fly and have evolved to have a tougher structure to avoid being crushed by larger creatures. They aim to stay as realistic as possible in their writing.
Fiction Alchemist
I can hear the laughter already... :shy:

I don't know if this is the sort of place for hypothetical physics. Please forgive me if I've posted this in the wrong place.

I'm a science-fiction/fantasy (science fantasy?) author (almost through his first book), and I've incorporated fairies into my fiction. My fairies are like humans, but with dragonfly-like wings and VERY diminuitive in size.

So, my question is, if it can be answered: How much would a normally-proportioned human weigh if he/she were six inches tall?

If you would please help me. I wouldn't forget it.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, with constant density, weight scales as volume or length cubed; six inches is about a twelfth of the height of a human, so 170lb/12^3 = 0.1 pound or a little less than two ounces. In practice though, flying fairies would be like birds and have adaptations like hollow bones, etc., and thus weigh somewhat less than a similarly-proportioned human. Then again, the similarly-scaled brain would be very bird-brained indeed.

Thank you very much! I've been trying to calculate that for a while, but for some reason, I could never get it right.

My fairies aren't intended to fly, by the way. They used to be able to long ago, but evolutions and average size increases over time stripped them of the ability. They also evolved a general structure (bones, muscles, skin) tough enough to avoid being crushed by much larger creatures. I don't know if that should make them heavier or not. I know I'm writing a fantasy story, but I try to stay as realistic as possible (without compromising my work) despite that.

Thanks again. :biggrin:

1. How would a human's weight be affected if they were six inches tall?

If a human were six inches tall, their weight would be significantly lower than if they were at their normal height. This is due to the square-cube law, which states that as an object's size decreases, its weight decreases at a faster rate. Therefore, a six-inch-tall human would weigh significantly less than their normal weight.

2. What factors would impact the weight of a six-inch-tall human?

The weight of a six-inch-tall human would be affected by various factors such as their body composition, bone density, and muscle mass. These factors would play a role in determining their weight, just as they do for humans at their normal height.

3. Would a six-inch-tall human be considered underweight?

It is difficult to determine if a six-inch-tall human would be considered underweight, as their weight would depend on their body composition and other factors. However, compared to humans at their normal height, they would likely be considered underweight due to the significant decrease in weight caused by the square-cube law.

4. How much would a six-inch-tall human weigh in comparison to an average human?

It is challenging to determine the exact weight of a six-inch-tall human in comparison to an average human, as their weight would depend on various factors. However, based on the square-cube law, they would likely weigh less than one pound, while an average human can weigh anywhere from 100 to 200 pounds.

5. Is it possible for a human to reach a height of six inches?

No, it is not possible for a human to reach a height of six inches. The average height for an adult human is around 5 feet, and any significant decrease in height would result in severe health issues. This hypothetical scenario of a six-inch-tall human is purely for scientific and theoretical purposes.