Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fairies are like humans

1. Aug 6, 2006 #1
    I can hear the laughter already... :shy:

I don't know if this is the sort of place for hypothetical physics. Please forgive me if I've posted this in the wrong place.

I'm a science-fiction/fantasy (science fantasy?) author (almost through his first book), and I've incorporated fairies into my fiction. My fairies are like humans, but with dragonfly-like wings and VERY diminuitive in size.

So, my question is, if it can be answered: How much would a normally-proportioned human weigh if he/she were six inches tall?

If you would please help me. I wouldn't forget it.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 6, 2006 #2
    Well, with constant density, weight scales as volume or length cubed; six inches is about a twelfth of the height of a human, so 170lb/12^3 = 0.1 pound or a little less than two ounces. In practice though, flying fairies would be like birds and have adaptations like hollow bones, etc., and thus weigh somewhat less than a similarly-proportioned human. Then again, the similarly-scaled brain would be very bird-brained indeed.

4. Aug 6, 2006 #3
    Thank you very much! I've been trying to calculate that for a while, but for some reason, I could never get it right.

My fairies aren't intended to fly, by the way. They used to be able to long ago, but evolutions and average size increases over time stripped them of the ability. They also evolved a general structure (bones, muscles, skin) tough enough to avoid being crushed by much larger creatures. I don't know if that should make them heavier or not. I know I'm writing a fantasy story, but I try to stay as realistic as possible (without compromising my work) despite that.

Thanks again. :biggrin:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?