Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fairly simple calculus question

1. Jun 2, 2005 #1
    I'm given a curve defined by [tex]2y^3 + 6x^2y - 12x^2 + 6y = 1[/tex]

Its derivative is [tex]\frac{4x - 2xy}{x^2 + y^2 + 1}[/tex]

One of the problems is as follows: "Write an equation of each horizontal tangent line to the curve."

I reasoned that if the top of the derivative is equal to zero, the tangent line will be horizontal at that point. Therefore, I solved for [tex]4x - 2xy = 0[/tex]

[tex]4x = 2xy[/tex]

[tex]y = \frac{4x}{2x} = 2[/tex]

This is the only solution I can find, but the wording of the question, "EACH horizontal line" makes me feel as though I'm missing something and there are actually more. Is y = 2 the only one?

The next problem is as follows: "The line through the origin with slope -1 is tangent to the curve at point P. Find the x- and y-coordinates of point P."

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't this mean that we have to solve for x AND y?

[tex]-1 = \frac{4x - 2xy}{x^2 + y^2 + 1}[/tex]

Am I going the wrong way about this, or is there a way to simplify this equation that I'm not seeing?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 2, 2005 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    2015 Award

what about the subtle solution, x = 0? 2y^3 + 6y = 1
  4. Jun 3, 2005 #3
    Is that saying that the CURVE has a slope of -1 as it passes through the origin? I interpreted it as saying that a line drawn through the origin with a slope of -1 would be parallel to the curve itself at point P...
  5. Jun 3, 2005 #4

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It's not just parallel, it's tangent...
  6. Jun 3, 2005 #5
    Oh, I see. Wouldn't x and y be zero then, though?
  7. Jun 3, 2005 #6

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Why do you say this?

That it's a tangent simplifies things greatly. You knew that at P the slope had to be -1, but you also know that P lies on the line through the origin with slope -1 as well, so you can use this to simplify [tex]-1 = (4x - 2xy)(x^2 + y^2 + 1)^{-1}[/tex] by removing either x or y.
  8. Jun 3, 2005 #7

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

The line through the origin with slope -1 is simply y= -x. You need to find a point P= (x,y) on the curve so that the derivative is -1 and y= -x.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?