How Do You Solve an Op Amp Circuit Using Superposition?

In summary, the conversation discusses solving a circuit problem using the concept of superposition. It provides a step-by-step explanation for solving part A and offers guidance for solving part B using the same approach. The summary concludes with an invitation for further clarification or questions.
Asphyxiated

Homework Statement

A picture of the original problem can be seen http://images3a.snapfish.com/232323232%7Ffp733%3C2%3Enu%3D52%3A%3A%3E379%3E256%3EWSNRCG%3D335%3B%3B84268347nu0mrj" along with some extra labels.

Homework Equations

superposition

The Attempt at a Solution

So I tried to solve A) with superposition, but first we know that:

[tex] V_{0}=V_{0_{1}}+V_{0_{2}} [/tex]

[tex] V_{1}=V_{2} [/tex]

and

[tex] i_{V_{1}}=i_{V_{2}}=0 [/tex]

just meaning there is no current going into the op amp.

Superposition: 4v source off with a short circuit in its place. We now have a current-to-voltage converter which follows this formula:

[tex] \frac {V_{0_{1}}}{i_{s}}=-R [/tex]

[tex] \frac {V_{0_{1}}}{.001a}=-2000\Omega [/tex]

[tex] V_{0_{1}}=-2V [/tex]

Now turn the current supply off and you have a non-inverting amplifier circuit with negative feedback. I am not really sure how to calculate this. To me it looks like:

[tex] V_{0_{2}}=V_{in}=4v [/tex]

and putting it together:

[tex] V_{0}=-2v+4v=2v [/tex]

which is the correct answer but I have no idea if I did it correctly or not. I do not know how to work out B but maybe if I get help here I will understand. Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

Hello! Great job using superposition to solve part A of the problem. Your understanding of the concept is correct and your calculations seem to be accurate as well. To solve part B, you can use the same approach of superposition but with a different set of sources.

First, turn off the 4V source and replace it with an open circuit. This will leave you with a voltage divider circuit with R1 and R2. Use Ohm's law to calculate the voltage at the output of the divider, which will be the input voltage for the op amp inverting input.

Next, turn off the 1mA current source and replace it with a short circuit. This will leave you with a simple non-inverting amplifier circuit with negative feedback. Use the formula for an inverting amplifier to calculate the output voltage.

Finally, add the two voltages calculated in the previous steps together to get the total output voltage.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any other questions.

1. What is an Op Amp?

An Op Amp, short for operational amplifier, is a type of electronic circuit that amplifies the difference between two input voltages. It is commonly used in signal processing and control applications.

2. How does an Op Amp work?

An Op Amp typically consists of three main components - an inverting input, a non-inverting input, and an output. The difference between the two input voltages is amplified and then outputted. This amplification is achieved through the use of transistors and feedback circuits.

3. What is the purpose of a Fairly Simple Op Amp diagram?

A Fairly Simple Op Amp diagram is used to visually represent the basic components and connections of an Op Amp circuit. It can help beginners understand the functionality of an Op Amp and how it can be used in various applications.

4. How do I read a Fairly Simple Op Amp diagram?

The inverting input is represented by a negative (-) sign and the non-inverting input is represented by a positive (+) sign. The output is usually shown as a triangle with the symbol for the Op Amp inside. The power supply connections are also shown, with the positive supply connected to the non-inverting input and the negative supply connected to the inverting input.

5. Can I use a Fairly Simple Op Amp diagram for all Op Amp circuits?

No, a Fairly Simple Op Amp diagram only represents the basic components and connections of an Op Amp circuit. It may not be suitable for more complex circuits that require additional components or specialized configurations. It is always best to consult a more detailed diagram or consult a professional for more complex Op Amp circuits.