Fairness Doctrine opposed by Obama.

• News
  • Thread starter drankin
  • Start date
In summary, the White House is opposed to the Fairness Doctrine and believes it is no longer relevant due to the increase in TV channels. The conversation also includes some humorous comments about the number of channels and the doctrine itself.
drankin
Just in on Fox: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/first100days/2009/02/18/white-house-opposes-fairness-doctrine/"

Cool, this must be his "Constitutional" education showing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Nice having someone in that office who really respects and upholds the Constitution, isn't it?

I thought the courts didn't really have anything definitive to say about the fairness doctrine (often leaving it up to the FCC to decide whether or not they wanted to enforce it). Way back when it was first proposed, I believe it actually passed the Constitutional test, but broadcasting has come a long way since then, and I guess the same arguments would be harder to make now, with 13 dillion channels on the average TV.

Gokul43201 said:
I thought the courts didn't really have anything definitive to say about the fairness doctrine (often leaving it up to the FCC to decide whether or not they wanted to enforce it). Way back when it was first proposed, I believe it actually passed the Constitutional test, but broadcasting has come a long way since then, and I guess the same arguments would be harder to make now, with 13 dillion channels on the average TV.

The number of TV channels has gotten so large we've had to start counting them in units of pickles? :rofl:

But, yes, the Fairness Doctrine is something that was overcome by events. It's no more relevant than requiring safety warning labels on the tube testers in the local hardware store.

I thought 'dillion' sounded better than 'kerschmillion'. And I don't have a TV, so I had to resort to fictional numbers (I don't have a clue how many channels there actually are). The TVs in the local bars seem to have at least a pintillion channels (and I've noticed the fancy ones have a quartillion channels).

1. What is the Fairness Doctrine?

The Fairness Doctrine was a policy introduced by the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) in 1949 that required broadcasters to present both sides of controversial issues in an honest, equitable, and balanced manner.

2. Why did Obama oppose the Fairness Doctrine?

Obama, like many other politicians and media experts, believed that the Fairness Doctrine was outdated and unnecessary in today's media landscape. He argued that with the rise of cable news and the internet, there were ample opportunities for individuals to access diverse viewpoints and information.

3. Did Obama try to reinstate the Fairness Doctrine during his presidency?

No, Obama did not make any attempts to reinstate the Fairness Doctrine during his presidency. In fact, he explicitly stated that he had no intention of doing so and that he believed in the importance of a free and open media.

4. What are some arguments against the Fairness Doctrine?

Some argue that the Fairness Doctrine infringes on the First Amendment right to free speech and that it would be difficult to implement and enforce in today's media landscape. Others believe that it could lead to government censorship and limit the diversity of opinions and viewpoints in the media.

5. Is there currently any legislation in place similar to the Fairness Doctrine?

No, the Fairness Doctrine was officially repealed by the FCC in 1987. However, there are still regulations in place that require broadcasters to provide equal time to political candidates and to disclose any sponsored content.