Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

News Fairness Doctrine opposed by Obama.

1. Feb 18, 2009 #1
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 18, 2009 #2

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Nice having someone in that office who really respects and upholds the Constitution, isn't it?

4. Feb 18, 2009 #3

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I thought the courts didn't really have anything definitive to say about the fairness doctrine (often leaving it up to the FCC to decide whether or not they wanted to enforce it). Way back when it was first proposed, I believe it actually passed the Constitutional test, but broadcasting has come a long way since then, and I guess the same arguments would be harder to make now, with 13 dillion channels on the average TV.

5. Feb 19, 2009 #4

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The number of TV channels has gotten so large we've had to start counting them in units of pickles? :rofl:

But, yes, the Fairness Doctrine is something that was overcome by events. It's no more relevant than requiring safety warning labels on the tube testers in the local hardware store.

6. Feb 19, 2009 #5

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I thought 'dillion' sounded better than 'kerschmillion'. And I don't have a TV, so I had to resort to fictional numbers (I don't have a clue how many channels there actually are). The TVs in the local bars seem to have at least a pintillion channels (and I've noticed the fancy ones have a quartillion channels).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook