'Fairy circles' of Africa baffle scientists

• Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Circles
In summary, despite 25 years of research, scientists have been unable to determine the cause of "fairy circles" - ring-shaped patches of barren soil found in desert areas of Namibia and South Africa. Various theories have been ruled out, leaving some to jokingly suggest that fairies may be responsible. These circles have been compared to the "devils tramping ground" in North Carolina, but differ in that the fairy circles are found in larger numbers in Africa.
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Twenty-five years of research fail to find the cause of a mysterious natural phenomenon, reports Tim Butcher at Wolwedans Camp

One of Africa's most mysterious natural phenomena still cannot be explained despite 25 years of research, scientists admitted yesterday.

Rings known as "fairy circles" that pockmark vast areas of desert in Namibia and South Africa have baffled botanists from the University of Pretoria and the Polytechnic of Namibia.

They have ruled out termite activity, poisoning from toxic indigenous plants, contamination from radioactive minerals and even ostrich dust baths as possible causes.

"At this stage I suppose we could say that fairies are as good an explanation as any," Gretel van Rooyen, professor of botany at Pretoria, told The Telegraph. [continued]

\http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/mai...rc10.xml&sSheet=/news/2004/05/10/ixworld.html

Physics news on Phys.org
These are real enough. Anothert really interesting thing about them is though the soil in the circle is barren there is a ring of soil just putside the circle which is seemingly more fertile than the surrounding soil.

here's a slightly better article on it:

http://www.newscientist.com/news/news.jsp?id=ns99994833

It is obviously the work of fairies.

Hmm, I was trying to find some pics of these things, because they sound quite similar to the devils tramping ground I've got up the street.

Here is one pic I managed to find of a fairy circle

And a pic of the tramping ground to save you the trouble

The main difference, from what I read about the fairy circles, there are many of them in africa, whereas this is the only one I know of around here.

They just need some fertilizer, is all.

1. What are "fairy circles" of Africa?

The "fairy circles" of Africa are circular patches of barren land that are found in the grasslands of Namibia, Angola, and South Africa.

2. How big are these fairy circles?

The fairy circles can range from 2 to 15 meters in diameter and are often evenly spaced apart.

3. What causes the formation of these circles?

The cause of the formation of fairy circles is still a mystery and is a subject of ongoing research. Some theories suggest that they are caused by termites, while others propose that they are a result of competition for water and nutrients among plants in the area.

4. Are there any other theories about the origin of fairy circles?

Other theories suggest that the circles may be formed by underground gas explosions or are a result of the weather patterns in the area. However, none of these theories have been proven yet.

5. Why are scientists baffled by fairy circles?

Scientists are baffled by fairy circles because they have not been able to find a conclusive explanation for their formation. The various theories proposed have not been able to fully explain all aspects of the phenomenon, and more research is needed to understand these mysterious circles.