How Can We Restore Faith in Humanity?

• Thread starter Jarvis323
  • Start date
In summary, people can maintain faith in humanity by paying attention to the good things as well as the bad.
Jarvis323
If you want to, please share any news, stories, videos, or arguments that help restore your faith in humanity.

I guess the first question to address is whether a person should have faith in humanity, and how much. I think people's perspectives can depend on what they personally experience or pay attention to.

We all know there are people starving and suffering in some far off place somewhere, but most of us more or less ignore it. I suspect that, for many, it would be only if they went there and saw it with their own eyes that they would be compelled to take it seriously and try to help in some way. And there is no shortage of immediate and future problems in the world that one could become immersed in.

In the grand scheme of things, one's power as an individual can seem insignificant, and the big problems of the world seem hopelessly overwhelming. Paying attention to problems, especially overwhelming or hopelessly difficult ones can be depressing and cause one to lose faith in humanity. It's nice to, at the least, pay some attention to the easy things, and the good things. And it's easy for many to put all their attention to those things and try to surround themselves with nothing but positivity. But if nobody pays attention to the bad things and major problems, then things just become worse right?

Anyways, without putting our heads in the sand and ignoring that the world is undergoing crisis of epic proportions that are spiraling out of control, how can we maintain faith in humanity? Is there hope for the future? Any examples of inspiring stories that give you hope?

Likes DennisN
Physics news on Phys.org
I am always surprised how well people from different cultures get along
  • in science
  • in music
  • in sports
  • on a personal level
However, the list of evil is significantly longer.

Likes Klystron and Jarvis323
Even in the face of the Pandemic, even in the face of misinformation and disinformation, our folks in the medical fields (in-hospital and field EMS) still work very hard and long hours to help their patients. Even when patients haven't done the best that they can to protect themselves, we try our best to provide the best care we can for everybody. Doctors take the Hippocratic Oath; the rest of us aren't required to do that but still try to follow that lead.

1645316742733.png

https://eshealth.com.au/

Likes gleem, Klystron, Astronuc and 5 others
berkeman said:
Even in the face of the Pandemic, even in the face of misinformation and disinformation, our folks in the medical fields (in-hospital and field EMS) still work very hard and long hours to help their patients. Even when patients haven't done the best that they can to protect themselves, we try our best to provide the best care we can for everybody. Doctors take the Hippocratic Oath; the rest of us aren't required to do that but still try to follow that lead.

View attachment 297343
Here is my contribution (I sent a copy to the relevant HR department of the clinic.)
https://www.physicsforums.com/threa...he-nurses-on-this-planet.995941/#post-6415967

Likes DennisN, Jarvis323 and berkeman
berkeman said:

View attachment 297343
I can't remember the sources, but a year or so ago I was reading about crisis and emergency communication and response. I was surprised that research shows that rather than people turning against one another and being cowardly and selfish (as sometimes depicted), instead people actually tend to be brave and try to help one another.

Sure we see examples of that, but I guess maybe we focus too much on some cases and get a false sense of how common it is. I remember when there was a PPE shortage at the beginning of the pandemic, there were facebook groups that were organized for people trying to acquire, or engineer and make, and distribute PPE and even ventilators. These groups were almost too packed with people trying to help in some way or another, that the main problem was redundancy and organizational/logistical challenges in figuring out ways for that many people to help.

Sometimes one of the most frustrating things is when the will, and sometimes even the way, to accomplish something important or great is there, but for some reason it just doesn't happen.

Last edited:
99% of people are friendly, nice, and hospitable in my experience independent of country, education, or culture. That is why I added #4 to my list in post #2.

The remaining 1% is just unbelievably louder, stupid, full of hate, or even in some sad cases in power, as we can currently observe.

Likes russ_watters, DennisN and berkeman
fresh_42 said:
99% of people are friendly, nice, and hospitable in my experience independent of country, education, or culture. That is why I added #4 to my list in post #2.

The remaining 1% is just unbelievably louder, stupid, full of hate, or even in some sad cases in power, as we can currently observe.

I feel like it's not always that simple that some group of bad people are to blame for a problem. Some of the big problems are emergent and each of us play some small role, yet we don't make the direct connection between our actions and the effect.

Likes gleem and DennisN
Jarvis323 said:
the world is undergoing crisis of epic proportions that are spiraling out of control,
Could you give examples of that? What are you comparing those examples to for qualifying them as "epic proportions that are spiraling out of control"?

Before you answer, are those examples representing reality or your perception of reality? Why do you see these examples as such? When comparing to past events in human history - that you consider less "epic" than what is happening today - how did people of the time see those events?

Jarvis323 said:
how can we maintain faith in humanity? Is there hope for the future?
I guess it all comes down to your expectations.

This type of reflection reminds me of my favorite Twilight Zone episode that always made me think about what could be the right answer to this type of question. Here is the synopsis of the story:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0734721/plotsummary?ref_=tt_stry_pl said:
The United Nations is awaiting the arrival of an alien ambassador. They are excited at meeting an emissary from another planet. But when the emissary arrives, the story he tells is deadly. He claims that his people are responsible for helping to seed life on Earth, and they have watched Earth's civilization carefully as it grew and evolved. His people are angry and disappointed to see that Earth's humans have 'a small talent for war--' in complete failure for the plans and hopes the ambassador's people hoped to see them grow into. Therefore, his people's full war fleet is arriving in 24 hours to destroy all life on Earth. The UN Diplomats frantically beg for another chance to set things right in the alien people's eyes. The ambassador, indifferent, asks what they could possibly hope to accomplish. The American diplomat points out that the alien fleet isn't due to arrive for 24 hours-- at least give Earth that much time. The alien ambassador is still skeptical, but knowing that the Earth people are right in that his fleet isn't arriving for 24 hours, agrees to the request.

The UN Diplomats discuss and debate tirelessly into the evening and night, struggling to come to worldwide agreements. The alien ambassador presents himself to the UN Council on time at the end of the 24 hours, and the council proudly presents him with a completed peace treaty-- rules and plans for global disarmament and all humans living in peace.

The alien ambassador stares at the treaty and begins to laugh. As his laughter grows louder, the council begins to join in-- but suddenly the ambassador hurls the treaty to the floor, and still amused, tells the council that they've misunderstood him. Earth's 'small talent for war' is in fact TOO small for his people's tastes-- his race is a race of warriors that seeds and raises other warrior races to fight across the galaxy with and for them. Earth's savagery hasn't bred true-- humans fight hopelessly backward, erratically and clumsily; their weapons are shockingly crude and primitive, and to top it all off... they hope for PEACE. But it's easily fixed, says the ambassador... his people will simply try again. But he thanks the UN Council for a very amusing meeting, reminding them of a famous Earth quote that death comes easy, but comedy is hard to achieve. The ambassador transports back to his ship and the segment closes with Earth's skies growing dark as the ambassador's people's war fleet arrives to destroy all life on the planet.

Likes CalcNerd
It is interesting to me that most religions carry a notion of "original sin" which needs to be expunged from humans. Personally I have only recently (say the past 4 years or so) begun to truly believe in the notion of evil. These two ideas are not disjoint.

Incidentally I prefer and recommend Rod Serling's original visit by the Kanamet (from "To Serve Man" story by Damon Knight )

Likes Lord Jestocost
Jarvis323 said:
But if nobody pays attention to the bad things and major problems, then things just become worse right?
Depends on what you mean, and it doesn't really make sense to me. How can there be a crisis that nobody is paying attention to? Do the people in it not even know about it?

Broadly; it's common for people to have a pessimistic view of the world due to the nature of news. But in general it is not true that the world's problems keep getting worse.

Rather than generic despair from globalizing local problems, it's better to look at global stats to measure if the local problems are indeed indicative of a worsening global situation.

Likes jack action
fresh_42 said:

I basically agree.
Though I'd personally change the percentages to ca 95% and 5% :smile:
(and within those groups I'd say there are spectrums of various functional and dysfunctional behaviors).

Jarvis323 said:
I feel like it's not always that simple that some group of bad people are to blame for a problem. Some of the big problems are emergent and each of us play some small role, yet we don't make the direct connection between our actions and the effect.
One quote immediately comes to my mind:

“When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.”
- Edmund Burke, “Thoughts on the Cause of the Present Discontents” (1770)

Often misattributed/misquoted as "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
(source at Reuters)

Likes Klystron
DennisN said:
I basically agree.
Though I'd personally change the percentages to ca 95% and 5% :smile:
(and within those groups I'd say there are spectrums of various functional and dysfunctional behaviors).
It always depends on how far you go into detail. We certainly disagree on many levels in discussions about certain topics, but on a personal level, respect normally jumps in such that we can still communicate in a civilized manner despite different opinions. This is e.g. why it does not work on the internet. People do not feel the necessity for respect since all they can see is their screen and empathy isn't as widespread as I wished it would be.

Likes gleem, DennisN and Lord Jestocost
DennisN said:
“When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.”
But when "bad" men combine, how can you tell they are not actually "good" men associating?

jack action said:
But when "bad" men combine, how can you tell they are not actually "good" men associating?
You'd have to ask Burke in the 1770s :smile:. I just came to think about the quote.

Seriously, who's "good" and "bad" can often be tricky to say.
I'd say "time has a way of telling", and "actions speaks louder than words".

Furthermore, there are three types of men: good, bad and ugly: :smile:

jack action said:
Could you give examples of that? What are you comparing those examples to for qualifying them as "epic proportions that are spiraling out of control"?

Before you answer, are those examples representing reality or your perception of reality? Why do you see these examples as such? When comparing to past events in human history - that you consider less "epic" than what is happening today - how did people of the time see those events?I guess it all comes down to your expectations.

This type of reflection reminds me of my favorite Twilight Zone episode that always made me think about what could be the right answer to this type of question. Here is the synopsis of the story:

I wrote a long depressing response, but decided to delete it since the main idea of the thread is for examples of things that inspire faith in humanity.

Likes fresh_42
I am currently watching the first season of 'Star Trek: Picard'. The fact that Star Trek works for almost sixty years now is mainly because of the values it transports. And the fact that we obviously still dream of a utopia with those values is a reason we can still hope that someday we will be able to live according to those values.

fresh_42 said:
I am currently watching the first season of 'Star Trek: Picard'. The fact that Star Trek works for almost sixty years now is mainly because of the values it transports. And the fact that we obviously still dream of a utopia with those values is a reason we can still hope that someday we will be able to live according to those values.
[Slightly off-topic:] I think you might modify your views a bit when you've reached the end of 'Star Trek: Picard'... :oldfrown:

strangerep said:
[Slightly off-topic:] I think you might modify your views a bit when you've reached the end of 'Star Trek: Picard'... :oldfrown:
Well, it ended with Irving Berlin. I list him on the pro side. :cool:

A really sad story but inspiring.

Likes strangerep
People who save animals and make efforts to understand them and treat them well always warm my soul 💓
For example, this man and his crow:

Or this guy who taught his gosling how to fly:

💝

Likes strangerep and DennisN

1. How can we measure the level of faith in humanity?

Measuring the level of faith in humanity is a complex task as it involves subjective opinions and beliefs. One way to measure it is through surveys and polls that ask individuals about their trust in others and their overall outlook on humanity. However, these measures may not be entirely accurate as they are influenced by personal experiences and biases.

2. What factors contribute to the decline of faith in humanity?

There are various factors that can contribute to the decline of faith in humanity, such as negative media coverage, political and social conflicts, and personal experiences of betrayal or injustice. Additionally, the rise of social media and the spread of misinformation can also play a role in shaping people's perceptions of humanity.

3. Can acts of kindness and compassion really restore faith in humanity?

While individual acts of kindness and compassion may not be enough to completely restore faith in humanity, they can certainly have a positive impact. These acts serve as reminders that there are still good people in the world and can inspire others to also spread kindness. However, addressing larger systemic issues and promoting empathy and understanding are also important in restoring faith in humanity.

4. Is it possible to restore faith in humanity on a global scale?

Restoring faith in humanity on a global scale is a daunting task, but it is not impossible. It requires collective effort from individuals, communities, and governments to promote peace, equality, and compassion. It also involves addressing global issues such as poverty, discrimination, and climate change. While it may take time, it is possible to restore faith in humanity on a global level.

5. How can we teach future generations to have faith in humanity?

Teaching future generations to have faith in humanity involves instilling values such as empathy, kindness, and tolerance from a young age. This can be done through education, role modeling, and promoting positive media representation. It is also important to address any negative influences and teach critical thinking skills to help children and young adults navigate the complex world around them.