Fake or Real? Can You Spot the Computer-Generated Images?

• Thread starter larkspur
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation revolves around a website that challenges users to determine whether images are real or computer-generated. Participants express surprise at some of the images being real and discuss their scores, with most getting 6-9 out of 10 correct. They also share their thoughts on the challenge and congratulate each other on their scores.
larkspur
See if you can pick the real ones vs. computer generated ones...

http://www.autodesk.com/eng/etc/fakeorfoto/v1/index.html" [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Just as to not ruin it for other people, I have added some spacing before writing my thoughts.

I thought they were all CG. I was very shocked that the golf ball was real. The spoon and face were obvious CG's.

Six out of ten answers were correct.
Pretty good ! The CG artists have worked really hard -- but you're still slightly ahead of the game!

Three were easy to tell they were real. Two were easy to tell they were fake. Five were really tough. Overall, I got 6 out of 10 right.

"The Challenge Results

Very good! Eight out of ten answers were correct.

Thank you for taking the Fake or Foto reality check. Here are a few options for you:"

8 for me as well. That was pretty tough.

dontdisturbmycircles said:
I was very shocked that the golf ball was real.
Looks like the trick worked. :wink: As soon as I saw the thumbnail, I decided that it was real. :biggrin:

7/10

10/10 correct, not too difficult.

7/10 it wasn't bad.

Very good! Nine out of ten answers were correct.

9/10 Woot!

7 Of 10 For Me

1. What is the difference between fake and real?

Fake refers to something that is not genuine or authentic, while real refers to something that actually exists or is true. In terms of scientific research, fake data or results are fabricated or manipulated, while real data or results are obtained through valid experiments and observations.

2. How can I determine if something is fake or real?

In the scientific community, data and results are evaluated based on the scientific method. This involves conducting experiments, collecting data, and analyzing results using objective and unbiased methods. Peer review by other scientists also helps to validate the authenticity of research findings.

3. Why is it important to differentiate between fake and real?

In science, it is crucial to distinguish between fake and real data or results as it can have significant implications for future research and decision-making. Using fake data can lead to incorrect conclusions and hinder scientific progress, while using real data can advance our understanding of the world.

4. Can something be partially fake or partially real?

In general, something is either fake or real. However, in some cases, there may be elements of both. For example, a study may have collected real data but manipulated or falsified some of the results. In these cases, it is important for scientists to thoroughly examine the evidence and determine the extent of the falsification.

5. What are the consequences of using fake data in scientific research?

The consequences of using fake data in scientific research can be severe. It can damage the credibility of the researcher and their institution, lead to incorrect conclusions and subsequent flawed studies, and ultimately harm the progress of science. It can also have ethical implications, as it can mislead the public and policymakers who rely on scientific information.