Falcons, Planes & Vortices: A 15yr olds Guide

• Thread starter KauGan
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Planes
In summary, falcons swoop down in a spiral motion to get a continuous view of their prey because they have limited vision at a 45-degree angle. This is shown in a BBC documentary where a camera was attached to a falcon during its dive. Fighter jets may also use this technique for better visibility, but it is more likely used as an avoidance maneuver. A vortex is simply a swirling motion in a medium, and it is believed that the high frequency vibration of a bumble bee's wings causes a vortex that helps in its flight.
KauGan
I recently heard from my friend that a flacon swoops down in a spiral (not spinning) motion to get a continuous view of its prey because it can see things clearly only in a 45-degree angle.(I don't know if this true, so please correct me if I am wrong.)

I have even seen fighter jets doing the same thing (i.e. swooping down in spiral motion).
Is there a reason why jets should move like that ?
Is there a relation between movemont of a falcon and a jet ?
and also What is a Vortex ?

Please don't use heavy jargon, I'm just 15yrs old.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF, KauGan.
Birds have extremely good vision, so I doubt the reason for a falcon's dive path that you mentioned. I refer you to the following for more proper information: http://jeb.biologists.org/cgi/reprint/201/3/403.pdf
Once you have a handle on that, comparisons with aircraft can commence. :wink:

Oh... and a vortex is simply a swirling motion is some medium. That could be a dust-devil or full-blown tornado, or a flushing toilet, or wake turbulence from the wings of an aeroplane...

I would say that it is indeed for a better view. In an aircraft, the dashboard is a large blind spot, so by spiraling, the pilot would see all of it's target's surrounding symmetrically. (not that he actually needs to, because of cockpit instruments)

By examining a falcon's face, it seems that it's own beak may also well be a blind spot. Spiraling would compensate for this.

I have no reference, it's just an opinion.

I never considered the beak, Dr. At first read-through, it seemed like a silly idea. Upon trying out the concept, however, I realized that I do actually see my own nose as a "ghost image" (since it doesn't appear in the same visual field of each eye). My brain just automatically filters out the image unless I concentrate upon it. Since a bird's beak protrudes so much farther into the visual field, your idea makes a lot of sense.

Just my opinion:
Regarding a jet fighter purposely spinning on attack descent. I really do not think it has anything to do with enabling a wider field of view.
After all, have you seen it through cockpit cameras? It's very disorienting and would seem, to me, to more confuse visual target ID.
Moreover, on the vids I've seen, spiraling during attack is very rare, and often done as an avoidance maneuver against incoming fire.
Also, the vids I have seen them doing this is because, well, they can. They are either practicing avoidance, getting more used to the feel of spinning, or just having fun.

It's certainly not pratical for today's fighters, who do most real missions at night with nearly complete reliance on avionics.

But birds are also known for doing some of their flying "for fun".

Dr Lots-o'watts said:
But birds are also known for doing some of their flying "for fun".

Indeed, "nature" is not always survival/food/procreation specific.
Some activities in nature are "just for fun"; whatever that means for a specific species.

Danger said:
Welcome to PF, KauGan.
Birds have extremely good vision, so I doubt the reason for a falcon's dive path that you mentioned. I refer you to the following for more proper information: http://jeb.biologists.org/cgi/reprint/201/3/403.pdf
Once you have a handle on that, comparisons with aircraft can commence. :wink:

Oh... and a vortex is simply a swirling motion is some medium. That could be a dust-devil or full-blown tornado, or a flushing toilet, or wake turbulence from the wings of an aeroplane...

Thanks for all your answers.
@Danger thanks for the PDF.:smile:

I have another question.
I heard that according to the laws of aerodynamics , the bumble bee shouldn't be flying but it flies due to the high frequency vibration of its wings which causes a vortex.

How does the vortex help in the flight of the bee here ?:confused:

KauGan said:
How does the vortex help in the flight of the bee here ?:confused:
I'm afraid that your link doesn't work. Anyhow, my understanding of a bee's flight it that it isn't the frequency that matters; it's the fact that the wings twist in something like a whiplash movement on the downstroke. I'm not sure about that, though, so don't take my word for it.

Last edited:
KauGan said:
I recently heard from my friend that a flacon swoops down in a spiral (not spinning) motion to get a continuous view of its prey because it can see things clearly only in a 45-degree angle.(I don't know if this true, so please correct me if I am wrong.)
Basically yes.

The eyes of a falcon look sideways at about 40°. So to look directly forward (on the prey) in a straight dive, it would have to bend the head to the side. But that would mess up the aerodynamic shape of the body, causing more drag and turbulence. So it spirals with the head straight.

A BBC documentary, where they attached a camera to a falcon, and filmed that dive.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-_RHRAzUHM#t=1m15s

Last edited:

1. What is the purpose of "Falcons, Planes & Vortices: A 15yr olds Guide"?

The purpose of "Falcons, Planes & Vortices: A 15yr olds Guide" is to educate and engage young readers in the fields of aerodynamics and aviation. It aims to explain complex concepts in a simple and relatable manner, making it accessible for teenagers who have an interest in these subjects.

2. Who is the intended audience for this book?

The intended audience for this book is 15-year-old readers who have an interest in science, particularly in the fields of aerodynamics and aviation. However, it can also be enjoyed by anyone who wants to learn more about these topics in an easy-to-understand way.

3. What topics are covered in "Falcons, Planes & Vortices: A 15yr olds Guide"?

This book covers a range of topics related to aerodynamics and aviation, including the principles of flight, the design and mechanics of airplanes, and the role of vortices in aerodynamics. It also touches on the history of flight and the future of aviation technology.

4. Is this book suitable for beginners in the field of aerodynamics and aviation?

Yes, "Falcons, Planes & Vortices: A 15yr olds Guide" is suitable for beginners as it presents the information in a clear and easy-to-understand way. It does not require prior knowledge in these fields and can serve as a great introduction to the subject for young readers.

5. Are there any hands-on activities or experiments included in the book?

Yes, there are hands-on activities and experiments included in the book to help readers better understand the concepts presented. These activities are designed to be done at home with simple materials, making it easy for readers to explore the principles of aerodynamics and aviation in a fun and interactive way.