Fall Back Schools Near Los Angelos CA?

• Schools
  • Thread starter bjnartowt
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Fall Schools
In summary: It may also be worth consulting resources beyond phds.org and looking into schools with lower faculty reputation and program prestige rankings to increase the chances of acceptance.
bjnartowt
"Fall Back" Schools Near Los Angelos CA?

Hi all, I am trying to get into a physics grad program near where my niece/nephew will grow up: in Saugus, CA (a suburb about 50 minutes north of Los Angeles...sp?). There are plenty of physics schools over there, but to be realistic I prolly won't get into most of them. Are there any "fall back" schools near there?

I looked on phds.org, and basically went by the lower scores on "faculty reputation" and "prestige of program" (whatever they're named): basically the fields in which schools like MIT and Harvard "live" at the top of. Not that those elitists won't hear about as much awesomeness I can cram into my CV within the next very-short year* (!), but I'm being realistic.

Should I be consulting resources beyond phds.org? If so: what are they? Amidst the loud din about how great Caltech, Berkeley, and UCLA are, you don't really hear about those schools on the bottom, especially in elite-school-filled states as California.

* See my other post about tentatively getting a math-M.S. (kind of a Plan B) in order to get more education and buy more time to perform publishable research.

Physics news on Phys.org
Some potential "fall back" schools near Los Angeles CA include the University of Southern California (USC), California Institute of Technology (Caltech), California State University, Long Beach, California State University, Northridge, Loyola Marymount University, and Pepperdine University. Additionally, many community colleges in the area such as Glendale Community College, Pasadena City College, and Santa Monica College offer physics courses and degree programs that could serve as a good stepping stone.

1. What are "Fall Back Schools" near Los Angeles, CA?

"Fall Back Schools" are schools that follow a "fall back" or traditional academic calendar, where the school year typically starts in August or September and ends in May or June. These schools have a summer break and shorter breaks throughout the year, such as winter and spring breaks. They are contrasted with "year-round" or "modified calendar" schools, which have a shorter summer break and longer breaks throughout the year.

2. How can I find "Fall Back Schools" near Los Angeles, CA?

You can find "Fall Back Schools" near Los Angeles, CA by searching online for schools in the area and checking their academic calendars. You can also contact the school district or individual schools directly to inquire about their academic calendar.

3. What are the benefits of attending a "Fall Back School" near Los Angeles, CA?

Some potential benefits of attending a "Fall Back School" near Los Angeles, CA include having a longer summer break and shorter breaks throughout the year, allowing for more time for family vacations and other activities. These schools also typically have a longer winter break, which can be beneficial for families with holiday plans. Additionally, "Fall Back Schools" may have more opportunities for summer internships or programs.

4. What are the drawbacks of attending a "Fall Back School" near Los Angeles, CA?

One potential drawback of attending a "Fall Back School" near Los Angeles, CA is that the longer summer break may result in students experiencing a "summer slide," where they may forget some of their academic skills over the extended break. Additionally, families may have to find alternative childcare during the longer breaks throughout the year.

5. Are "Fall Back Schools" near Los Angeles, CA better than year-round schools?

There is no definitive answer to this question as it ultimately depends on the individual needs and preferences of students and families. Some may prefer the longer breaks of "Fall Back Schools," while others may prefer the more frequent breaks of year-round schools. It is important to research and consider the academic performance and resources of each individual school, rather than just the type of academic calendar they follow.