Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fall Back Schools Near Los Angelos CA?

1. Jun 26, 2010 #1
    "Fall Back" Schools Near Los Angelos CA?

Hi all, I am trying to get into a physics grad program near where my niece/nephew will grow up: in Saugus, CA (a suburb about 50 minutes north of Los Angeles...sp?). There are plenty of physics schools over there, but to be realistic I prolly won't get into most of them. Are there any "fall back" schools near there?

I looked on phds.org, and basically went by the lower scores on "faculty reputation" and "prestige of program" (whatever they're named): basically the fields in which schools like MIT and Harvard "live" at the top of. Not that those elitists won't hear about as much awesomeness I can cram into my CV within the next very-short year* (!), but I'm being realistic.

Should I be consulting resources beyond phds.org? If so: what are they? Amidst the loud din about how great Caltech, Berkeley, and UCLA are, you don't really hear about those schools on the bottom, especially in elite-school-filled states as California.

* See my other post about tentatively getting a math-M.S. (kind of a Plan B) in order to get more education and buy more time to perform publishable research.

2. jcsd
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted