Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fall colors

1. Oct 8, 2008 #1

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It's that time of year again. Or as Bob Dylan would say, "the leaves, they are a-changin'."

I just found this cool website with maps of where the leaves are at peak color for parts of the USA. They update twice a week; go to these links and click on "Current _____ report" to get the latest maps.

Northeast USA
    Midwest USA
    Southeast USA

Right now, fall colors are peaking in parts of Minnesota, Wisconsin, Michigan (upper peninsula), New York (Adirondacks), Vermont, New Hampshire, and Maine.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 8, 2008 #2

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It feels like the colors are changing late this year. I'm driving up to MI next weekend and was hoping there'd be more color change by now. Oh, that reminds me I need to find out if hypatia is around next weekend. :biggrin:

4. Oct 8, 2008 #3

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

There's a beautiful maple across the street from my office -as I sit at my computer, it's right in my line of view. Yesterday, I swear it was changing right before my eyes! It was about 1/3 changed in the morning, but almost completely changed when I left work that day. I've never seen anything like it.

5. Oct 8, 2008 #4

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I have no idea what you people are talking about.

6. Oct 8, 2008 #5

Evo

Staff: Mentor

:rofl:

I grew up in Houston and always heard of this strange thing people would refer to as "seasons". I always loved cutting roses for the Christmas table out of my garden. :grumpy:

7. Oct 8, 2008 #6

Fall colors, I believe this is brown County Indiana and probably taken last year.

http://www.dannyburk.com/images/brown co7.jpg

I especially love to get off of the main roads and drive the country roads. In many places the trees form a canopy over the road. It is like driving through a tunnel of color.

8. Oct 8, 2008 #7

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

edward, nice pic!

evo, mih: that site is probably new and just hasn't gotten around to including texas and southern cali yet. Keep checking, I'm sure they'll add your areas soon.

9. Oct 8, 2008 #8
    I grew up in Indiana and always loved the change of seasons. In AZ we only have January and summer.

10. Oct 8, 2008 #9
    Not true. The tops of the mountains are covered with aspen which turn a beautiful yellow. In addition there is maple which turns red and oak with more yellow.

However edward is right about the lowlands. No fall in the lowlands. In southern AZ it seldom drops below the mid 60s during the day even in mid winter. The nights are a different picture though. It can and does drop 40 degrees from day to night.

11. Oct 9, 2008 #10

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

Bah, looks like the leaves have just started to turn in the North Carolina mountains. Not much point in driving up there for fall break next weekend. :frown:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?