1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Admissions Fall Grades and grad schools

1. Dec 13, 2017 #1
    I am currently applying to grad school and have submitted all of my applications. None of my applications have my fall grades, just my schedule. I took 3 graduate courses (the only ones I've ever taken). I got an A in 2 of them, however I withdrew from the last one because I was too busy this semester. I did ok in my other, non-grad courses.

Some schools have the option to submit fall grades. Should I do so because of the As in the 2 grad level courses? Or should I refrain due to the W in an intro grad class?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 13, 2017 #2

robphy

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

What is your GPA with and without the fall grades?
    What are these grad courses? and which is the one you dropped?
    Have you dropped other courses in your major in the past?
    Are you planning to try to place out of those courses in grad school?
    (How does this course compare to the courses in the grad schools you are applying to?)

4. Dec 13, 2017 #3
    Thank you so much for replying! I'm a little vague for the sake of privacy, but can add more info if it helps:

My GPA would only change by 0.02, and it is already pretty good.
    They are advanced level grad courses related to quantum and stat mech. I dropped an intro grad math course.
    Nope
    Nope
    I want to pursue astro, so the courses aren't directly relevant.

5. Dec 13, 2017 #4

robphy

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I'd suggest submitting the fall grades.
    The good grades in graduate level Quantum and Stat Mech would make your application stand out.
    The dropping of a graduate-level Math course is possibly a minor loss compared to the large gain from the graduate Physics courses.
    My $0.02.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted