Should I Submit My Fall Grades for Grad School Applications?

In summary, the person is applying to grad school and has submitted all their applications without their fall grades. They took 3 graduate courses, receiving A's in 2 and withdrawing from the last one due to a busy semester. They did okay in their other non-graduate courses. Some schools have the option to submit fall grades and the person is wondering if they should do so based on their good grades in 2 graduate courses and the withdrawal from a graduate math course. They have not dropped any other courses in their major and are not planning to try to place out of these courses in grad school. The courses taken are in quantum and statistical mechanics, and the one dropped was an introductory math course. The person wants to pursue astrophysics
Mike K
I am currently applying to grad school and have submitted all of my applications. None of my applications have my fall grades, just my schedule. I took 3 graduate courses (the only ones I've ever taken). I got an A in 2 of them, however I withdrew from the last one because I was too busy this semester. I did ok in my other, non-grad courses.

Some schools have the option to submit fall grades. Should I do so because of the As in the 2 grad level courses? Or should I refrain due to the W in an intro grad class?

Physics news on Phys.org
What is your GPA with and without the fall grades?
What are these grad courses? and which is the one you dropped?
Have you dropped other courses in your major in the past?
Are you planning to try to place out of those courses in grad school?
(How does this course compare to the courses in the grad schools you are applying to?)

Thank you so much for replying! I'm a little vague for the sake of privacy, but can add more info if it helps:

robphy said:
What is your GPA with and without the fall grades?
My GPA would only change by 0.02, and it is already pretty good.
robphy said:
What are these grad courses? and which is the one you dropped?
They are advanced level grad courses related to quantum and stat mech. I dropped an intro grad math course.
robphy said:
Have you dropped other courses in your major in the past?
Nope
robphy said:
Are you planning to try to place out of those courses in grad school?
Nope
robphy said:
(How does this course compare to the courses in the grad schools you are applying to?)
I want to pursue astro, so the courses aren't directly relevant.

I'd suggest submitting the fall grades.
The good grades in graduate level Quantum and Stat Mech would make your application stand out.
The dropping of a graduate-level Math course is possibly a minor loss compared to the large gain from the graduate Physics courses.
My $0.02.

1. How important are fall grades for grad school admissions?

Fall grades are an important factor in grad school admissions as they provide insight into a student's academic performance and potential for success in a graduate program. Admissions committees will consider fall grades along with other factors such as test scores, letters of recommendation, and personal statements.

2. What if my fall grades are lower than my previous grades?

If your fall grades are lower than your previous grades, it is important to address this in your application. You can explain any extenuating circumstances that may have affected your academic performance, such as a personal or family issue. It is also helpful to highlight any improvements or successes in your academic career since the fall semester.

3. Do grad schools only look at fall grades from my final year of undergrad?

Grad schools typically look at fall grades from your final year of undergrad, as these are the most recent and relevant to your application. However, some schools may also consider grades from previous fall semesters or even from your entire undergraduate career if they feel it is necessary to evaluate your academic potential.

4. Can a strong performance in the fall semester make up for a weak performance in previous semesters?

A strong performance in the fall semester can certainly help to improve your overall academic profile, but it may not completely make up for a consistently weak performance in previous semesters. Admissions committees will consider your entire academic record, so it is important to strive for consistent academic excellence throughout your undergraduate career.

5. Will grad schools take into account the difficulty of my fall semester courses?

Grad schools will typically take into account the difficulty of your fall semester courses when evaluating your grades. If you have taken challenging courses and have performed well, this can reflect positively on your academic abilities. However, it is important to note that grades are not the only factor considered in the admissions process, so it is also important to showcase your skills and strengths in other areas such as research experience, leadership, and personal statement.