Evaluating My Fall Schedule: 12 Hours/Week

In summary, I'm looking ahead at my fall schedule and it looks like I'll be taking Modern Physics II and Intermediate Mechanics. I'm considering taking Intro. to PDE with this professor, but honestly I'm a bit intimidated by the homework in the class. I'm also considering taking the Advanced Linear Algebra I course over the summer.
Shackleford
I'm looking ahead at my fall schedule. I work roughly 20 hours/week, but it looks like that will be cut back to around 12 hours/week.

I'm definitely taking Modern Physics II (undergrad QM) and Intermediate Mechanics. I'm considering taking Intro. to PDE with this professor, but honestly I'm a bit intimidated by the homework in the class.

http://www.math.uh.edu/~boyarkin/MATH3363-spring2010/index.html#homework

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
The homework looks pretty standard with the types of problems you deal with in E&M and QM.

IMO, without taking a class on PDE's I feel comfortable doing those types of problems because they are pretty standard types of problems in undergraduate physics.

Feldoh said:
The homework looks pretty standard with the types of problems you deal with in E&M and QM.

IMO, without taking a class on PDE's I feel comfortable doing those types of problems because they are pretty standard types of problems in undergraduate physics.

Oh. Well, I just started my upper-division courses, Modern Physics I, this semester. I'm taking Vector Analysis right now, too. So, you think that class won't be too bad then?

I was also thinking about taking an Advanced Linear Algebra I course over the summer. It's a five-week senior-level course. MoTuWeTh 10 - 12. I have a feeling it might be a bit much for me to cram all that in five weeks. I don't know, though.

Taking linear algebra can't hurt. You'll use it a lot. Also there is a lot of cross over between linear algebra and the types of PDEs you will do in undergrad physics, or at least my experience has lead me to believe this.

However a 5 week class is very fast paced. Especially with other commitments like summer research or a job. I did a 6 week summer class on logic design and even that was rough. It might not seem like a lot but you really have to stay on top of things or you'll fall behind really fast.

Feldoh said:
Taking linear algebra can't hurt. You'll use it a lot. Also there is a lot of cross over between linear algebra and the types of PDEs you will do in undergrad physics, or at least my experience has lead me to believe this.

However a 5 week class is very fast paced. Especially with other commitments like summer research or a job. I did a 6 week summer class on logic design and even that was rough. It might not seem like a lot but you really have to stay on top of things or you'll fall behind really fast.

I've taken the sophomore-level Linear Algebra. In addition to my required math courses in my physics program, I have to take one 4000-level (senior) math course. I asked my Vector Analysis professor which class he recommends being that I am a physics major, and he recommended the Advanced Linear Algebra I course.

1. What are the benefits of evaluating my fall schedule?

Evaluating your fall schedule can help you make sure that you are taking the right courses and have a manageable workload. It can also help you identify any potential conflicts or gaps in your schedule.

2. When should I start evaluating my fall schedule?

It is best to start evaluating your fall schedule as soon as possible, ideally a few weeks before registration opens. This will give you enough time to make any necessary changes or adjustments.

3. How can I evaluate my fall schedule?

One way to evaluate your fall schedule is to create a list of all the courses you plan to take and their corresponding schedules. You can then look for any conflicts or overlaps, and make sure you have a balanced workload.

4. What should I consider when evaluating my fall schedule?

When evaluating your fall schedule, you should consider the course requirements for your major or degree program, your personal interests and goals, and any potential conflicts with other commitments such as work or extracurricular activities.

5. Is it okay to make changes to my fall schedule after I have registered?

Yes, it is possible to make changes to your fall schedule after you have registered. However, it is important to check with your academic advisor or the registrar's office to make sure you follow the proper procedures and deadlines for adding or dropping courses.