1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fall schedule

1. Mar 15, 2010 #1
    I'm looking ahead at my fall schedule. I work roughly 20 hours/week, but it looks like that will be cut back to around 12 hours/week.

I'm definitely taking Modern Physics II (undergrad QM) and Intermediate Mechanics. I'm considering taking Intro. to PDE with this professor, but honestly I'm a bit intimidated by the homework in the class.

http://www.math.uh.edu/~boyarkin/MATH3363-spring2010/index.html#homework [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 15, 2010 #2
    The homework looks pretty standard with the types of problems you deal with in E&M and QM.

IMO, without taking a class on PDE's I feel comfortable doing those types of problems because they are pretty standard types of problems in undergraduate physics.

4. Mar 15, 2010 #3
    Oh. Well, I just started my upper-division courses, Modern Physics I, this semester. I'm taking Vector Analysis right now, too. So, you think that class won't be too bad then?

5. Mar 15, 2010 #4
    I was also thinking about taking an Advanced Linear Algebra I course over the summer. It's a five-week senior-level course. MoTuWeTh 10 - 12. I have a feeling it might be a bit much for me to cram all that in five weeks. I don't know, though.

6. Mar 15, 2010 #5
    Taking linear algebra can't hurt. You'll use it a lot. Also there is a lot of cross over between linear algebra and the types of PDEs you will do in undergrad physics, or at least my experience has lead me to believe this.

However a 5 week class is very fast paced. Especially with other commitments like summer research or a job. I did a 6 week summer class on logic design and even that was rough. It might not seem like a lot but you really have to stay on top of things or you'll fall behind really fast.

7. Mar 15, 2010 #6
    I've taken the sophomore-level Linear Algebra. In addition to my required math courses in my physics program, I have to take one 4000-level (senior) math course. I asked my Vector Analysis professor which class he recommends being that I am a physics major, and he recommended the Advanced Linear Algebra I course.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook