1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fall velocity, strange answer.

1. Jun 13, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

1. I'm trying to write a program to calculate newtons of impact force from a fall given the weight, general size, shape, and density of an object. I want to take air resistance into account. I also want to take the density of the thing the object falls on into account. I am having trouble figuring out why a 200 lb object falling 200 ft is going ~23 m/s at the point of impact. This is the loop I am using.

2. For reference:
    3. accel = acceleration, which is set to 9.81 m/s^2 originally.
    4. densitya = density of air, set to 1.2754 kg/m^3
    5. drag = drag coefficient, set to .6 for the shape.
    6. area = area of the object, set at .58 m^3
    7. dragf = drag force in newtons
    8. weight = weight. Mass in kg * 9.81
    9. mass = mass in kg, 90.7185
    10. rheight = remaining height. This is in meters, and is set to 60.96

11. while (rheight > 0)
    12. {
    13. time = time + 0.01;
    14. velocity = velocity + (accel*.01);
    15. dragf = ((densitya*drag*area)/2)*(velocity*velocity);
    16. accel = (weight - dragf)/mass;
    17. rheight = rheight - (velocity*.01);
    18. }
    19. cout << velocity << " " << time;

20. Am I getting a formula wrong, is the code bugged, or is it something else?
    2. Relevant equations
    Drag Force = (p*Cd*A)/2*v^2
    Velocity = d/t
    Weight = m * 9.81
    Acceleration = W - Df

3. The attempt at a solution
    Seen above.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2016
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 13, 2016 #2

Charles Link

Homework Helper

I think I found your error in line 19. It should read rheight=rheight-velocity*.01. A first test of the program would be to try setting the drag force equal to zero and see if you get a good answer.

4. Jun 13, 2016 #3
    Thank you. That was causing error, but now I am having a different problem. I have no idea what to use for area. Equations for shapes are easy, but what about for a human in various positions free-falling? (It's a fall damage calculator for a game)

The main ones I'd need to know is kneeling position, prone, and swan dive.

5. Jun 13, 2016 #4

Charles Link

Homework Helper

Try reading about skydiving/parachuting. I think with arms spread out, etc., a free fall reaches a limiting velocity of about 100 m.p.h. , but if you google it, you might find the info you need.

6. Jun 13, 2016 #5
    I tried that. I tried that a lot. The best I get is to find the cross-sectional area. I have no idea how to find the area on a freeform object. Would that just be looking from directly below?

Could I use paint and pixels to feet as a proportion?

7. Jun 13, 2016 #6

Charles Link

Homework Helper

Projected area would give a suitable estimate. I do think any kind of free fall estimates through the atmosphere is a rather inexact science.

8. Jun 13, 2016 #7
    Estimates are fine as long as they're at least mostly realistic in this case. Thank you for your help. I got it from here.

9. Jun 20, 2016 #8

David Lewis

Gold Member

To convert impact speed to force you would need to know the spring constant of the landing surface.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted