1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fall with air drag

1. Feb 13, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I want to numerically simulate a fall with air drag. In class, we used these equations to produce a table simulating free fall (using a ti calculator):
    Code (Text):
    dt=0.1s
    a=9.81m/s²
    t[SUB]n+1[/SUB]=t[SUB]n[/SUB]+dt
    v[SUB]n+1[/SUB]=v[SUB]n[/SUB]+a*dt
    x[SUB]n+1[/SUB]=x[SUB]n[/SUB]+v[SUB]n[/SUB]*dt
    When I compared that system with the curve produced by the direct equation, x=1/2at², I noticed a slight error. After looking at the equations again, I figured that the error came from the fact that I used vn, so the curve would always be a bit lower than 1/2at². So I fixed that by changing the Equation to
    Code (Text):
    x[SUB]n+1[/SUB]=x[SUB]n[/SUB]+((v[SUB]n+1[/SUB]+v[SUB]n[/SUB])/2)*dt
    Now I want to create a similar system but with air drag. As before, my physics book says that I should use vn and not (vn+vn+1)/2. But the book was wrong when it came to free fall, so I don't know which value to use for v. I think I should use (vn+vn+1)/2. But since I don't know the direct equation this time (if there is one), I can't compare to the correct solution..

2a. Relevant equations
    v=x/t
    a=v/t
    F=ma

Fd=b|v|m
    vE=(mg/b)1/m
    a=g(1-vm/vEm)

Fd is the air drag
    b and m are constants depending on the drag (I think in the case of air, m is about 2)
    vE is the end velocity the falling body will achieve

3. The attempt at a solution

These are the spreadsheets with the 2 systems:

http://dracayr.awardspace.com/physik.ods" [Broken]
    http://dracayr.awardspace.com/physik.xls" [Broken]

dracayr

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 13, 2009 #2

minger

Science Advisor

Ah, you've unknowingly ran into problems solving differential equations numerically. Essentially, what you're doing is time-marching an ordinary differential equation. You're comparing results using upwind and central differencing. For what you're doing, just do as the book says.

Numerically, upwinding (essentially using the value of the velocity at the current time) will damp waves, so you will typically have a lower magnitude than the analytic solution.

4. Feb 14, 2009 #3
    OK, thanks for the information :)

dracayr

Last edited: Feb 14, 2009
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook