1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Falling Chain (3.11)

1. Mar 5, 2014 #1

Radarithm

Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A chain with length ℓ is held stretched out on a frictionless horizontal table, with a length y0 hanging down through a hole in the table. The chain is released. As a function of time, find the length that hangs down through the hole (don't bother with t after the chain loses contact with the table). Also, find the speed of the chain right when it loses contact with the table.

2. Relevant equations

[tex]F_y=m\ddot{y}[/tex]
    [tex]y_0\ge y\ge l[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

Conceptually, more of the chain must be through the hole so that y-naught is greater than y (initially). To cause an acceleration to the left (or towards the hole; however you picture the scenario), the tension T must be equal to mg (correct?). What I'm having trouble with is setting up an appropriate differential equation; should I just do the old: [tex]\ddot{y}=-g[/tex] because this would (should) hold true if I claim that the tension T is equal to mg. This means that something fundamental is getting past me, I just don't know what. Also this doesn't have to do with the question, but is K&K harder than the book I already have (Morin)?

Last edited: Mar 5, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 5, 2014 #2

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The m in ##\ddot y## is different from the m in ## mg##. Make a drawing.

4. Mar 5, 2014 #3

Radarithm

Gold Member

http://postimg.org/image/vprzi0y6z/
    The FBDiagram on the left is for a piece of the chain that is present on top of the table, whereas the one on the right is for a piece of the chain that is falling through the hole in the middle.

5. Mar 5, 2014 #4

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

frictionless, so T isn't needed.
    My point is that mg is not constant because that m = y x m/L

6. Mar 5, 2014 #5

Radarithm

Gold Member

Would you mind proving how m = y x m/L? Is that a cross product?

7. Mar 5, 2014 #6

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

This is one of these totally artificial exercises that confuse bright students. Just imagine what is needed to make the chain take a 90 degree turn with 0 radius at the rim of the hole. Yuch.

Never mind. Questions about your FBDs: On the left I see d M g. What is that ? T is the accelerating tension I suppose.
    If there is an FBD for a (the ?) piece on top of the table, why is there no FBD for a (the) piece hanging vertically ?

On the right I see rather nothing. T is gone ?

8. Mar 5, 2014 #7

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

No. If the whole chain has length L, mass m, then a piece with length y has mass ## y\ m / L ##

9. Mar 5, 2014 #8

Radarithm

Gold Member

This is probably incorrect (I'm sure it is) but here I go:
    [tex]dm\frac{dv}{dt}=-dm_2g[/tex]
    [tex]dmdv=-dm_2gdt[/tex]
    edit: Nevermind the diff eqs, that was before I saw your replies.
    Can you at least give me a hint as to how I can relate the length to all of this? I can't seem to set up a diff eq.

10. Mar 5, 2014 #9

Radarithm

Gold Member

In the left FBD, I now know that:
    [tex]gdm=\frac{ym}{dL}[/tex]
    Forgot to include the tension in the FBD on the right, and it is the one for the vertical piece.

11. Mar 5, 2014 #10

Radarithm

Gold Member

Ok so because:
    [tex]m\frac{d^2y}{dt^2}=\frac{ym}{dL}g-T[/tex]
    for the vertical piece of the chain, then:
    [tex]T=m\left(\frac{d^2y}{dt^2}-\frac{gy}{dL}\right)[/tex]

Correct?
    I don't know how to relate the diff eqs for the vertical and horizontal pieces of chain in order to find L(t).

I do know that the limits of integration (for the integral that I have to calculate) are [itex]y_0[/itex] and [itex]l[/itex]

12. Mar 5, 2014 #11

Radarithm

Gold Member

Ok so if what I got for T is correct then:
    [tex]m\frac{d^2y}{dt^2}-m\frac{gy}{dL}=m\frac{d^2x}{dt^2}[/tex]
    [tex]\frac{d^2y}{dt^2}-\frac{gy}{dL}=\frac{d^2x}{dt^2}[/tex]

I guess the only problem I have now is with setting up the diff eq. If I am right, does the [itex]dL[/itex] have to be on the left side with everything else on the right? (there are multiple dt's; I don't suppose that this is problematic, assuming that I can group them up together if they are similar).

13. Mar 5, 2014 #12

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

This is going at a posts per few minutes. I can't follow. What is d in dL and what is x ?
    You can't write [itex]gdm=\frac{ym}{dL}[/itex] if you take a differential in the lhs, you also need a d in the numerator on the rhs; it can't end up in the denominator.

We know the chain remains stretched. So vertical piece, length y(t) means horizontal piece length L - y(t).

Vertical: F = y(t) m/L g - T
    Horizontal: F = T

Someone else will have to take over; I have to go to a training.

14. Mar 5, 2014 #13

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You may need to go back to F = dp/dt = dm/dt v + m dv/dt if you write a differential equation for only one of the sections (because for a section dm/dt is not 0). Either that , or only write the differential equation for the entire chain.

15. Mar 5, 2014 #14
    Well, the accelerations for x and y must be equal -- otherwise the chain would stretch out or it would create extra slack. How about something like this?
    $$\frac{d^{2}y}{dt^{2}} = \frac{g \cdot \lambda y}{M}$$ Where [itex]\lambda[/itex] is the linear mass density -- [itex]\frac{M}{L}[/itex], which reduces to: $$\frac{d^{2}y}{dt^{2}} = \frac{gy}{L}$$

This may be totally off though -- I'll think more about it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted