What is the Force Between Links in a Falling Chain?

In summary, the problem is asking for the force between links and the time for the topmost link to fall to the table for a uniform chain of length l and mass M released above a table. The equations of motion used are v=u+at and v^2 = u^2 + 2as. The time to reach the table is sqrt(2s/a), where a is the vertical acceleration. The force between links can be determined by considering tension in the chain, which can be found by solving the equation Mg-T=Ma. The paper "Falling chains as variable mass systems: theoretical model and experimental analysis" discusses the modeling questions related to falling chain problems.
PhysicsKid99

Homework Statement

A uniform chain of length l and mass M contains many links. It is held above a table so that one end is just touching the table top. The chain is released freely. What is the force between the links? What is the time for the topmost link to fall to the table?

Homework Equations

v=u+at, v^2 = u^2 + 2as

The Attempt at a Solution

I think that the time to reach the table is sqrt(2s/a), because v=at, so (at)^2=2as, so rearranging that would give me that answer. I'm trying to visualise the part about the force though; is it that the only force exerted on each chain the weight of the chain below it? Or is it tension, in which case Mg-T=Ma, so T=Mg-Ma?

Physics news on Phys.org
Falling chain problems are still somewhat of an open research area because the correct model is not entirely clear. Here is a paper on the topic:

"Falling chains as variable mass systems: theoretical model and experimental analysis," by C.A. de Sousa, P.M. Gordo, and P. Costa, Physics Education, 28 May, 2012.

The particular problem stated by the OP is not addressed in this paper, but some of the relevant modeling questions are.

PhysicsKid99 said:

Homework Statement

A uniform chain of length l and mass M contains many links. It is held above a table so that one end is just touching the table top. The chain is released freely. What is the force between the links? What is the time for the topmost link to fall to the table?

Homework Equations

v=u+at, v^2 = u^2 + 2as

The Attempt at a Solution

I think that the time to reach the table is sqrt(2s/a), because v=at, so (at)^2=2as, so rearranging that would give me that answer. I'm trying to visualise the part about the force though; is it that the only force exerted on each chain the weight of the chain below it? Or is it tension, in which case Mg-T=Ma, so T=Mg-Ma?
Suppose there is some tension in the chain as it falls. What does that tell you about the vertical acceleration of the top link? What does it tell you about the vertical acceleration of the bottom link that's not yet in contact with the table?

What is the "Falling Chain Problem"?

The "Falling Chain Problem" is a mathematical problem that involves determining the shape a hanging chain will take when it is suspended between two points and then allowed to fall under the force of gravity.

What factors influence the shape of the falling chain?

The shape of the falling chain is influenced by the length and weight of the chain, the distance between the two points, and the force of gravity.

How is the falling chain problem solved?

The falling chain problem is typically solved using the principle of least action, which states that the actual path taken by a physical system is the one that minimizes the action of the system. This involves setting up an equation and finding the curve that minimizes the action.

What is the practical application of the falling chain problem?

The falling chain problem has practical applications in engineering and architecture, specifically in the design of suspension bridges and cable-stayed structures. It is also used in the study of soap films and the formation of soap bubbles.

Can the falling chain problem be solved for any shape?

The falling chain problem can be solved for any shape as long as the shape can be represented by a mathematical equation. However, for more complex shapes, the solution may require advanced mathematical techniques and computer simulations.