Solving Mass-on-Scale Problem with Falling Chain

In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of finding the reading of a chain suspended vertically with a scale when a specific length falls. The solution involves calculating the forces and velocity of the chain, and expressing the rate of change of mass in terms of length and speed. The final answer is 3Mgx/L.
Dweirdo

Homework Statement

A chain of mass M and length L is suspended vertically with the lower end touching a scale.
the chain is released and falls onto the scale.
what is the reading of the chain when a length x is fallen?
neglect the size of individual links

Homework Equations

dp = IMPULSE=F*dt
p=mv

The Attempt at a Solution

Well this is what I've done so far.
the velocity of the specific part of the chain when it hits the scale is V= sqrt(2gx)
F1= Mgx/L -weight of a X part of the chain.
now the second force is quite a problem.
F2=dp/dt=d(mv)/dt =V(dm/dt)...
what do I do from here??
i need to express dm/dt with the information i got, but can't find a way... =trying to translate it to words: the rate the mass hits the chain or...? I'm kinda stuck.
Any help appreciated!
Thank You.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Dweirdo said:

The Attempt at a Solution

Well this is what I've done so far.
the velocity of the specific part of the chain when it hits the scale is V= sqrt(2gx)
F1= Mgx/L -weight of a X part of the chain.
Good.
now the second force is quite a problem.
F2=dp/dt=d(mv)/dt =V(dm/dt)...
what do I do from here??
Express dm in terms of dx. (You're doing fine. :wink:)

Doc Al said:
Good.

Express dm in terms of dx. (You're doing fine. :wink:)

well i thought about v*M/L (for dm/dt)the only thing i found that works with the units mass/seconds)
but which v do i place here if it's right?

for dm alone it's xM/L?
Thanks Al.

dm = M/L dx, so dm/dt = M/L dx/dt = M/L v, where v is the speed of the piece of chain (dm) hitting the scale, which you already found in post #1.

Wooho!
thanks Al, i got 3Mgx/L
and it seems like the right answer.

Thanks,

Weirdo

1. What is a mass-on-scale problem with falling chain?

A mass-on-scale problem with falling chain is a physics problem that involves calculating the mass of an object, typically a chain, as it falls from a certain height onto a scale. This type of problem requires an understanding of the principles of gravity, acceleration, and equilibrium.

2. How do you solve a mass-on-scale problem with falling chain?

To solve a mass-on-scale problem with falling chain, you first need to identify all the forces acting on the chain, including gravity, tension, and the normal force from the scale. Then, you can use equations such as Newton's second law and the equations of motion to calculate the mass of the chain.

3. What information is needed to solve a mass-on-scale problem with falling chain?

To solve a mass-on-scale problem with falling chain, you will need to know the height from which the chain falls, the mass of the scale, the acceleration due to gravity, and any other relevant information, such as the coefficient of friction between the chain and the scale.

4. Are there any common mistakes when solving a mass-on-scale problem with falling chain?

One common mistake when solving a mass-on-scale problem with falling chain is forgetting to account for all the forces acting on the chain, leading to an incorrect calculation of mass. It is also important to properly set up the equations and use the correct units throughout the problem.

5. How can the solution to a mass-on-scale problem with falling chain be checked?

The solution to a mass-on-scale problem with falling chain can be checked by ensuring that all the forces are balanced and that the units are correct. Additionally, it can be helpful to use different methods, such as energy conservation, to arrive at the same solution.