Finding Binding Force in Falling Disk System with Lagrange Equations

In summary, the disk is falling freely down and has one degree of freedom. As a coordinate we can choose an angle, ##\phi##, which says an angle of rotation from the start position. The Lagrange equations of the first kind equation of motion and binding force can be used to solve for the angular acceleration. It is unclear why it is convenient to have a constraint written in derivatives (velocities). However, once the constraint is known, the angular acceleration can be found using the Lagrange equations of the first kind.
Vrbic

Homework Statement

Let's have a disk and massless rope tangled in it. One end of rope is tied to the ceiling and the disk is falling freely down. System has one degree of freedom. As a coordinate we can choose angle ##\phi## which says an angle of rotation from the start position. Find from the Lagrange equations of the first kind equation of motion and binding force.

Homework Equations

Lagrange equtions of the first kind:
$$m \ddot x = F_x+ \lambda \frac {\partial f} {\partial x} \\
m \ddot y = F_y+ \lambda \frac {\partial f} {\partial y} $$, where f is binding function

The Attempt at a Solution

I suppose this term ## \lambda \frac {\partial f} {\partial y}## is binding force, but I don't have no idea how to find it.
Next here we use coordinate ##\phi ##, I should transforme y -> ##\phi ##. I suppose diameter of disk ##r ## so ##y=r\phi ##. Do you agree?
I probably know how to solve it other way: ##-ma = -mg +F1, M=F1*R=I*\alpha ##(angular acceleration) ##=mR^2/2*a/R=amR/2## from this I know anything what I need: ##-ma=-mg + am/2 => a=2g/3 ## Is it right?
But I don't know how to solve it through Lagrange equation. Can you advice me?

Physics news on Phys.org
Vrbic said:
System has one degree of freedom.

the disc is falling as well as rotating so initially two degrees of freedom of rotational motion as well as translational motion appears.
now one can talk about constraints. and what will be constraining equations which can render one degree of freedom dependent on the other.,
if ds is displacement then it must be equal to radius times the change in angle
ds - R. d(phi) =0
so, lagranges equati on has to be written first in generalized coordinates and one can use method of lagranges multipliers ; one can look up Goldstein's book on classical mechanics...

drvrm said:
one can look up Goldstein's book on classical mechanics...
It's really wide book :)
I've read some paragraphs and something is clear. But I don't understand why is sometimes convenient to have a constraint written in derivatives (velocities)? And how I find out, if it is my case? I know a procedure of solving minimalization problem for function of more variables by Lagrange multipliers, but generally I don't get relation between minimalization problem and this problem.
When I look up at Lagrange equations of first kind which I wrote, I guess that ##f## function should be ##f=y-R\phi##. And one equation will be for ##y## and second for ##\phi## do you agree?

1. How does a falling disk with string demonstrate the concept of gravity?

As the disk falls, the string pulls it down towards the ground due to the force of gravity. This demonstrates how objects are attracted to the center of the Earth.

2. What factors affect the speed of the falling disk with string?

The speed of the falling disk is affected by the length of the string, the mass of the disk, and the force of gravity.

3. Why does the string remain taut as the disk falls?

The force of gravity acting on the disk causes it to accelerate towards the ground, which in turn pulls on the string, keeping it taut.

4. How does the angle of the string affect the motion of the falling disk?

The angle of the string affects the direction of the force acting on the disk. As the angle increases, the force acting on the disk becomes more horizontal, causing it to move in a curved path rather than straight down.

5. How is the motion of the falling disk with string related to Newton's Laws of Motion?

The falling disk with string demonstrates Newton's First Law of Motion, which states that an object in motion will remain in motion unless acted upon by an external force. In this case, the external force is the string pulling on the disk due to the force of gravity.