1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Falling disk with string

1. Dec 1, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let's have a disk of mass ##m## and radius ##a## and massless rope tangled in it. One end of rope is tied to the ceiling and the disk is falling freely down. System has one degree of freedom. As a coordinate we can choose angle ## \phi## which says an angle of rotation from the start position. Find from the Lagrange equations of the first kind equation of motion and binding force.

2. Relevant equations
    $$m\ddot{x}=F_x+\lambda\frac{\partial G}{\partial x}$$
    $$m\ddot{y}=F_y+\lambda\frac{\partial G}{\partial y}$$
    where G is binding function.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I see that kinetic translation and rotation energy is connected. Probably by ## y=-a \phi## (##\dot{y}=-a\dot{\phi}## ) but generally I don't know what is my G function. I have seen a problem with pendulum or problem falling from ball where this functions are easy to guess. Please give me a kick.

Thank you.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 1, 2016 #2

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

For this problem, you are working with the two variables ##\phi## and ##y## rather than ##x## and ##y##.

You can rearrange your constraint condition as ##y + a \phi = 0##. Thus, you can choose ##G( \phi, y) = y + a \phi ##.

4. Dec 1, 2016 #3

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Do you mean wrapped around it?

5. Dec 2, 2016 #4
    Yes.

6. Dec 2, 2016 #5
    Ok I have some attemp of solution but I mean the result is wrong:
    ##G=y+a\phi=0## ,+ because of it goes against y direction
    ##m\ddot{y}=F_g+\lambda\frac{\partial G}{\partial y}=-mg +\lambda##
    ##m\ddot{\phi}=0+\lambda\frac{\partial G}{\partial \phi}=\lambda a##
    Now I want find out ##\lambda ## =>
    ##\ddot{y}+a\ddot{\phi}=0 ##
    ##\ddot{y}=-g+\frac{\lambda}{m} ##
    ##a\ddot{\phi}=\frac{\lambda a^2}{m} ##

7. Dec 2, 2016 #6

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The last equation (for ##\ddot {\phi})## is not correct. ##\phi## is an angular coordinate rather than a Cartesian coordinate, like ##x## or ##y##.
    Do you know how to get the equation of motion for ##\phi## starting from the Lagrangian?

8. Dec 5, 2016 #7
    It seems very reasonable. I believe I can manipulate with lagrangian :) For me is more familiar deal with Lagrange equation of second kind. So in this point of view I take a Lagrangian ##L=T+V=T_t+T_{rot} - V=\frac{1}{2}m\dot{y}^2 + \frac{1}{2}J\dot{\phi}^2 - mgy=\frac{1}{2}m\dot{y}^2 + \frac{1}{4}m a ^2\dot{\phi}^2 - mgy## =>
    ##\frac{d}{dt}\frac{\partial L}{\partial \dot{\phi}} - \frac{\partial L}{\partial \phi} =\frac{1}{2}m a ^2\ddot{\phi}=0 ##. ##\phi## isn't there but I feel it should be there probably due the constrain...or I don't know.
    On the other hand in problem is written they want Lagrange equation of 1. kind...

9. Dec 5, 2016 #8

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Lagrange's equation for ##\phi## with constraint ##G(\phi, y) = 0## is $$\frac{d}{dt} \frac{\partial L}{\partial \dot \phi} - \frac{\partial L}{\partial \phi} = \lambda \frac{\partial G}{\partial \phi}$$

10. Dec 5, 2016 #9
    I see... so my equations of 1. kind are
    ##m\ddot{y}+mg=\lambda ##
    ##\frac{ma^2\ddot{\phi}}{2}=\lambda a##
    ## y+a\phi=0## do you agree?

11. Dec 5, 2016 #10
    ##\ddot{y}=-g+\lambda/m##
    ##a\ddot{\phi}=2\lambda/m##
    ##\ddot{y}+a\ddot{\phi}=-g+3\lambda/m=0##=>##\lambda=gm/3 ##, ##\ddot{\phi}=\frac{2g}{3a} ## and ## \ddot{y}=-\frac{2g}{3}##.
    A binding force is ##\vec{F}_B=\lambda(\frac{\partial G}{\partial y},\frac{\partial G}{\partial \phi})## ?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted