Falling from a Tree: Anastasia & Joe's Adventure

In summary, Anastasia falls from a 31.0 meter high branch and Joe falls from the same branch 1.4 seconds later. Anastasia's height is 0 when she hits the ground, and Joe's height is 6.15 meters when he hits the ground.
StotleD
While exploring the canopy of the rainforest in equatorial South America, Anastasia falls from a branch 31.0 meters high. Exactly 1.4 seconds later Joe falls from the same branch. How high above the ground is Joe when Anastasia splats into the mud below? undefined

Physics news on Phys.org
this sounds almost to easy.

y = y0 -1/2 * g* t ^2

y = 31 - 1/2 * 9.8 * (1.4) ^ 2

do the math

I get 21.40m (21.396 m) but the computer I am doing it on cross checks my answer and says its wrong...

mathmike said:
this sounds almost to easy.

y = y0 -1/2 * g* t ^2

y = 31 - 1/2 * 9.8 * (1.4) ^ 2

do the math

Yes, it was too easy. That is Anastasia's height when Joe starts to fall. To find Joe's height when Anastasia hits the ground:

1) Solve 31- (1/2)(9.8)t2 to find time t when Anastasia hits the ground.

2) Put that value of t into h= 31- (1/2)*(9.8)(t- 1.4)2 to find Joe's height h.

i didnt want to do the whole problem for them, but yes halls is right

For what time Joe is in motion when Anastasia splats in mud? is it 1.4 sec ?

No, as I said before, solve (1/2)(9.8)t2- 31= 0 (her height will be 0) to find when Anastasia hits the ground.

This is Anastasia's height. I'm trying to find Joe's...

StotleD said:
This is Anastasia's height. I'm trying to find Joe's...
joe's height will be
hjoe = 31 - (1/2)*(9.8)(TA - 1.4)^2
where TA is when A hits the mud found by solving
(1/2)(9.8)(TA)^2 = 31

StotleD: First I calculated how long it takes Anastasia to fall before hitting the ground. I came up with 2.52 seconds. If Joe falls 1.4 s after Anastasia does, and if she hits the ground after 2.52 s, then he has fallen for 1.12 s when she hits. You can calculate his distance fallen of distance above the ground or both. I got 6.15 m that Joe fell. 31.0 m - 6.15 m is the height above the ground: 24.85 m. Does that help and match your understanding and calculations?
DAS

1. How did Anastasia and Joe fall from a tree?

Anastasia and Joe were exploring a tall tree when Joe lost his footing and grabbed onto a branch, causing both of them to fall.

2. Were Anastasia and Joe injured from the fall?

Fortunately, Anastasia and Joe were not seriously injured from the fall. They both had some minor scratches and bruises, but nothing serious.

3. Did Anastasia and Joe have any safety equipment while climbing the tree?

Yes, Anastasia and Joe were wearing helmets and harnesses while climbing the tree. This helped to prevent any major injuries during their fall.

4. What was the purpose of Anastasia and Joe's adventure in the tree?

Anastasia and Joe were conducting a research project on the different types of birds that live in tall trees. They were hoping to observe and document these birds in their natural habitat.

5. How did Anastasia and Joe get down from the tree after falling?

After falling, Anastasia and Joe were able to climb down the tree using their harnesses and ropes. They also had a team of trained professionals nearby to assist them if needed.