Falling from an aircraft effects?

In summary, dropping a relatively light object from a moving aircraft will cause it to slow down, and may hit other exterior surfaces. If the object's mass is greater than the surrounding air, the effect will be negligible relative to gravity and air resistance.
dingpud
Falling from an aircraft...effects?

Deploying something from an aircraft or helo...what are the different forces that are going to act on that object, or rather, where would I find information about that. Say a relatively light box is dropped out of a moving helo, how would I go about figuring out what happens to the box if the helo is moving at V knots and the box is LxWxH and its mass is M? I figured that it the box is too light, some sort of air displacement could cause it to act "odd" and could cause a serious accident or injury to the flight crew.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Not sure what you mean by "act "odd"... I don't see how dropping a box that is "too light" could cause a "serious accident". The forces on a dropped object I know about are gravity, air friction, and perhaps the push of a rotor, all of which push things from an aircraft away from the aircraft.

Well, if you're throwing something out of an airplane, it's going to slow down because of air resistance, and may hit other parts of the exterior as it does so...possibly including jet intakes/props, depending on where it's ejected from the fuselage. This might harm the crew...not directly, of course, but the results may not be pretty.

In terms of a general effect on the box...it will accelerate towards the ground at 9.8m/s^2, less air resistance, until it hits critical velocity. It's initial forward speed relative to the ground will be the velocity of the aircraft it's thrown from for a very short time, until it slows down because air resistance.

Perhaps what you are thinking about in your reference to a "light box" is some form of turbulence along the hull that would throw it back in. If so...that is theoretically possible, but incredibly difficult to calculate...and you'd need a CRAY on hand to do it.

Greetings !

Could it be that you wanted to imply low mass density ?
Well, abviously if the mass density of the object is lesser
than that of the air at the drop altitude it will go up.
If its greater than it will go down. I believe, that if the mass density is considrably greater than that of the surrounding air, this
effect will be neglagible compared to gravity and air resistence.

As others here said with a jet engine its pretty simple to figure out
the effect, but with a rotor it could be a lot more difficult.

Live long and prosper.

Turbulence I guess.

I think what I was looking for was if any upward turbulance, towards the rotor, was generated by the rotor. I wouldn't want the package to somehow be sucked, or blown back up into the general vicinity of the rotor.

Thanks for all the input.

1. What happens to the human body when falling from an aircraft?

When a person falls from an aircraft, they are subjected to a rapid change in altitude and air pressure. This can cause a range of physiological effects, including difficulty breathing, changes in heart rate and blood pressure, and possible loss of consciousness.

2. Can someone survive falling from an aircraft?

The chances of surviving a fall from an aircraft are extremely low. The high altitude and speed at which a person falls can cause severe injuries or death upon impact. However, there have been rare cases where individuals have survived a fall from an aircraft due to factors such as landing in water or on a soft surface.

3. How long does it take to fall from an aircraft?

The time it takes to fall from an aircraft depends on several factors, including the altitude of the aircraft, the speed at which it is traveling, and the position of the person in relation to the aircraft. On average, it takes about 12 seconds to fall 1,000 feet.

4. What are the potential injuries from falling from an aircraft?

The potential injuries from falling from an aircraft can vary greatly depending on the height and speed of the fall. Some common injuries include broken bones, internal bleeding, and severe trauma to the head and vital organs. Injuries can also be worsened by the impact of hitting the ground or other objects during the fall.

5. Can the effects of falling from an aircraft be mitigated?

There are some safety measures that can be taken to potentially mitigate the effects of falling from an aircraft, such as wearing a parachute or using a safety harness. However, these measures may not always be effective and do not guarantee survival. The best way to prevent the effects of falling from an aircraft is to avoid falling in the first place by following proper safety protocols and procedures.