Falling in love with chemistry but also love electrcity. Should ill be a EE and ChE?

In summary, based on the conversation, the suggested fields of Electrical Engineering and Chemical Engineering may not align with the individual's interests in physics, chemistry, and solar panels. It is suggested that the individual consider pursuing a degree in Physics, Chemistry, or Materials Science, with a focus on microelectronics and semiconductor device engineering. Safety protocols should always be followed in any experimental science field.

Alert! I think davidwillson is somekind of spam bot or spamer, his only 3 post are repeating things in this thread.

Any physics forum administrator to chek this please?
Looks like is a spam account.

Physics news on Phys.org

AlexES16 said:
Alert! I think davidwillson is somekind of spam bot or spamer, his only 3 post are repeating things in this thread.

Any physics forum administrator to chek this please?
Looks like is a spam account.

If he's a spam bot, then what are you? Haha, you ask the same question in every forum. :wink: Sorry, AlexES16 I had to, even though I have the same kinda concern with my decisions. EE, Chem, Physics. Good luck.

DrummingAtom said:
If he's a spam bot, then what are you? Haha, you ask the same question in every forum. :wink: Sorry, AlexES16 I had to, even though I have the same kinda concern with my decisions. EE, Chem, Physics. Good luck.

Wow that was a hook to the jaw O.O
Haha yeah i got like 8 point infractions xD, but now I've learned the lesson.
Thanks good luck to you to amigo.

AlexES16 said:
Wow that was a hook to the jaw O.O
Haha yeah i got like 8 point infractions xD, but now I've learned the lesson.
Thanks good luck to you to amigo.

Hahaha, if I could ask that much without getting in trouble here I would.

Wow i don't see myself doing electronics and soldering circuits. The part of EE that i am interested is power generation.

Solar energy Photovoltaics that is, yeah defintly solar energy is my dream job, designing, doing R&D in Photovoltaics, i don't know why but that thing really makes me super interested.

Nuclear Fusion(Nuclear Physics) in the sun(Nature-1 ITER-0) give some me photoelectric effect, some photons go into the semiconductor(quantum mechanics) blablabla chikubum and wala we have an electron(quantum mechanics, magic or what?)

Well all that part involves a lot physics and the materials part can be study with solid state physics. There is the physics part

Now the EE

Build some circuit, let's make that electron go into the river(cable) put in the box DC/AC transformer or what ever is called(oh mighty tesla) and bum we have some electrica energy.

Other part will be the use which let's say a refrigerator. I don't know if a physicist with some study can make a refrigerator or is totally beaten in building refrigerators by the EE.

Correct me if i am wrong, but looks like a Physics Degree will gove more understanding of what is hapening and with some study of transformers and ciruit you can do pretty well in photovotaics. I don't mention Chemistry becouse my debate now is EE or Physics.

Please help people I am going crazy with this i spend like 10 hours thinking in this every day!, all people say that you can make a lot of money with engineering but i am not interested in doing a lot of money just enough money to have a decent life at the end i personally think that money doesent make you happy you just need enough money to have a normal midle class family and if you can make that money with physics then let's go with physics till i die.

So the final thing is can you live as a midle calls with physics and if the theory i mentioned above is somewaht correct.

PS: I totally apreciate your answers and i really need them.

You are interested in 2 areas that extend over a broad range and yet many suggest an even narrower focus in your studies.

Might I suggest a general interdisciplinary engineering degree. The fact is, that the curriculum for such is not that different from a more narrowly defined UG engineering curriculum except that it includes the diverse yet related courses in precisely the areas that you express interest.

You can tailor the program and courses to cover physics, electrical, chemical, and the ever useful mechanical engineering aspects that tie all together that will adequately address your applied interests while also providing a strong flexible base for other professional endeavors (as well as the ever practical PE license).

And in the real world, few actual applications do not transcend the simplistic dated distinctions that define the traditional segmented engineering programs.

And then, if you are so inclined, you can narrow your focus in grad school. And if your interest is indeed borne out by the job market, you are in a wonderful position to have your employer foot the bill for grad school.

foxfyr said:
You are interested in 2 areas that extend over a broad range and yet many suggest an even narrower focus in your studies.

Might I suggest a general interdisciplinary engineering degree. The fact is, that the curriculum for such is not that different from a more narrowly defined UG engineering curriculum except that it includes the diverse yet related courses in precisely the areas that you express interest.

You can tailor the program and courses to cover physics, electrical, chemical, and the ever useful mechanical engineering aspects that tie all together that will adequately address your applied interests while also providing a strong flexible base for other professional endeavors (as well as the ever practical PE license).

And in the real world, few actual applications do not transcend the simplistic dated distinctions that define the traditional segmented engineering programs.

And then, if you are so inclined, you can narrow your focus in grad school. And if your interest is indeed borne out by the job market, you are in a wonderful position to have your employer foot the bill for grad school.

I want to start giving you a million thanks for the answer =), i really been waiting. The thing here is that there is no general interdisciplinary engineering, The university in which i have applied is very estrict, i applied to Electrical Engineering, I am gona start in January and i asked if i can change to Physics but they told me that i have to wait 1 year...And i really don't have to many choices of universities, the other universities are very managment oriented, careers like economy and they only have engineering degrees no Schools of Physics or Chemistry as such. In resume my country El Salvador fails hard!. And sometimes i think if i am crazy to study a career like Physics in this shame ultra fail technology country.

Electrical engineeris see the quantum mechanics of semiconductors??
until grad school or never?
Solid sate physics?

In the university i am there is no quantum mechanics or solid state physics which makes me very sad, i don't know if its the same in other countries?

Well does your school offer physical chemistry courses? P-chem involves a lot of quantum mechanics. Most ChemE programs require P-chem.

NanjoeBot said:
Well does your school offer physical chemistry courses? P-chem involves a lot of quantum mechanics. Most ChemE programs require P-chem.

There is no quantum physics in chemistry it say physical chemistry but i think they don't go deeper in it at my university.

Also i prefer physics a lot more

Wow i just realized that i am thinking in all this careers
EE,ME, Chemistry becouse i am afraid of not having a job with physics but i know that physics is what i really want.

As a ChemE, well actually a ChemBe (Chemical and Biomolecular), I can say ChemE has little to do with chemistry. If you can convert between mass and moles, then you're set.

cwatki14 said:
As a ChemE, well actually a ChemBe (Chemical and Biomolecular), I can say ChemE has little to do with chemistry. If you can convert between mass and moles, then you're set.

Hahaha i better stay with electrical engineering