Why do light rays emitted at the event horizon stay there in a black hole?

In summary, two observers falling into a black hole at different distances would not experience a complete halt in information flow between them when passing the event horizon, as postulated by some. The observer on the inside would still be able to "see" the second observer, while the second observer would not see anything. Additionally, the situation would be the same when the second observer passes the event horizon, as the event horizon does not prevent light from reaching the second observer. This can be better understood through spacetime diagrams, which show that the singularity, not the event horizon, is the barrier to communication between the two observers. It is also important to note that light rays emitted at the event horizon do not necessarily stay there, but can escape if the
ChemGuy
In another post someone postulated that if two observers, at different distances, fall into a black hole two things happen:

1. When the first passes the event horizon all information flow between the two stops.

2. When the second passes the event horizon information flow would resume.

I don't think I agree with the either postulate. In the first case the observer on the inside would continue to "see" the second observer. The second observer would, of course "see" nothing. In the second case I think the situation would be exactly the same. Just because the second observer is not inside the event horizon does not mean that light can go from No. 1 to No. 2. Wouldn't the photon "leave" No.1 but never reach No. 2? Or would No. 2 eventually run into the photon?

Physics news on Phys.org
ChemGuy said:
In another post someone postulated that if two observers, at different distances, fall into a black hole two things happen:

1. When the first passes the event horizon all information flow between the two stops.

I don't think I agree with the either postulate. In the first case the observer on the inside would continue to "see" the second observer. The second observer would, of course "see" nothing. In the second case I think the situation would be exactly the same. Just because the second observer is not inside the event horizon does not mean that light can go from No. 1 to No. 2. Wouldn't the photon "leave" No.1 but never reach No. 2? Or would No. 2 eventually run into the photon?

From looking at my crude attempt at a (Kruskal-Szekeres) spacetime diagram, it appears that the singualrity (not the event horizon) is the only bar to communication between 1 and 2.

Let A be the event at which 1's worldline intersects the event horizon and B be the event at which 2's worldline intersects the event horizon. At A, 1 can send a (light)signal that 2 receives at B. At B, 2 can send a light signal that, if the singularity is far enough in the future, 1 receives inside the even horizon.

I think I understand but after 1 passes A he can not send a signal that reaches 2. One is in side the event horizen and 2 is outside.

At B can 1 send a signal that will reach 2?

For B I agree that at some point time slowes down so much that a signal from 2 will never reach 1.

ChemGuy said:
I think I understand but after 1 passes A he can not send a signal that reaches 2.

Yes he can.

One is in side the event horizen and 2 is outside.

B will receive the signal after he, too, is inside the event horizon, providing the singularity is far enought in the future that it doen't intercept the signal first. Since A is inside when he sends the signal, and B receives the signal while also inside, the signal doesn't have to cross the event horizon.

At B can 1 send a signal that will reach 2?

No. B is not on 1's worldline, so 1 cannot send a signal, to 2 or otherwise, at B.

Spacetime diagrams are crucial for understanding these concepts.

Last edited:
ChemGuy said:
I think I understand but after 1 passes A he can not send a signal that reaches 2. One is in side the event horizen and 2 is outside.

If observer 2 stayed outside the event horizon then they would never receive the signal, but if they cross the horizon then they can. The event horizon is a barrier that defines where light cones from that point in all end up in the central singularity in the future. In fact at the exact point of the event horizon, the 'outgoing' light rays are in fact stationary i.e. they remain at a fixed spatial co-ordinate forever. Go the smallest bit closer the singularity and the 'outgoing' light rays will bend over and point towards the singularity (no escape!), go the smalled bit further away and the outgoing rays point back out to infinity (you can escape!)*. But any signal sent at precisely the event horizon will in a sense remain there for all time. As subsequent observers plunge through the event horizon they can receive the signal, regardless of where they were when it was sent.

*Note: the exact 'shape' of the light cone paths depends on the co-ordinates you are using Schwarschild, Eddington-Finkelstein, Kruskal etc but the underlying message is that same, light rays emitted at the event horizon stay there!

Thanks guys.

ChemGuy said:

I don't think I agree with the either postulate.

Well, you were right to object, since both statements are quite wrong; that's not what gtr says at all. Where did you read this? Is it possible that you simply misunderstood something?

Rather than trying to explain without pictures what is wrong with these two statements (but you can try http://www.math.ucr.edu/home/baez/RelWWW/history.html) , since a picture is worth a thousand words here I will simply recommend that you consult some of the fine textbooks which explain "block diagrams" (also called "conformal diagrams" or "Carter-Penrose diagrams") which are often used to exhibit the "global structure" of specific spacetime models, such as the Schwarzschild vacuum, Reissner-Nordstrom electrovacuum, or Kerr vacuum solutions of the Einstein field equation (EFE).

Wallace, you wrote "light rays emitted at the event horizon stay there", but you should have said "outwardly and radially moving laser pulses emitted by some observer as he falls past r=2m remain at r=2m" (in the Schwarzschild vacuum solution). See the execellent pictures in MTW if you don't see why I objected.

Chris Hillman

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What happens when you fall into a black hole?

When an object falls into a black hole, it experiences an intense gravitational pull. This pull increases as the object gets closer to the black hole's event horizon, which is the point of no return. As the object crosses the event horizon, it gets stretched and compressed due to the extreme gravitational forces. Eventually, the object reaches the singularity at the center of the black hole, where it is crushed to an infinitely small point.

2. Can anything escape from a black hole?

According to Einstein's theory of general relativity, nothing can escape from a black hole once it crosses the event horizon. This includes light, which is why black holes are dark and appear invisible to us. However, some theories suggest that quantum effects may allow for some particles to escape from a black hole, but this is still a topic of ongoing research.

3. Will time stop if you fall into a black hole?

As an object falls into a black hole, it will experience time dilation, which means that time will appear to slow down for the object. However, it will not completely stop. The closer the object gets to the singularity, the slower time will appear to pass for the object. This effect is due to the extreme gravitational pull near the singularity.

4. Is it possible to survive falling into a black hole?

Unfortunately, the intense gravitational forces and extreme conditions inside a black hole would make it impossible for any known form of life to survive. The intense stretching and crushing of the object would be fatal, and the high levels of radiation and other extreme conditions would also be lethal.

5. Can black holes be used for time travel?

While some science fiction stories may portray black holes as portals to other dimensions or time machines, there is currently no scientific evidence to support this idea. The extreme conditions inside a black hole would make it impossible for anything to survive, let alone travel through time.