Calculating Final Speed & Energy of 0.1 Solar Mass Falling into the Sun

In summary, the conversation discusses how to calculate the final speed and energy of an object with a mass of 0.1 Solar masses falling into the Sun. The discussion includes the equation for free fall velocity and the need to treat this as a conservation of energy problem. The final solution is that the freefall velocity is ~195.3 km/s and the escape velocity for the Sun.
Ayame17

Homework Statement

(b) If an object of 0.1 Solar masses fell into the Sun (starting at rest at infinity) calculate what its final speed and energy would be.

Mass of the Sun = 1.99 x [tex]10^{30} kg [/tex]
Radius of the Sun = 6.96 x [tex]10^8 m [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Having done the rest of the question (parts a, c and d), I returned to this part but am having trouble. A couple of years ago we studied free-fall time, but in this question we really aren't given much data. If I had the time, I could backwards-engineer the free fall time to get the velocity, but we don't. Having looked through my notes, I found the free fall velocity:

[tex]v_{ff} = (\frac{2GM}{R})^\frac{1}{2}[/tex]

We thought that integration may be the way to go, but we wouldn't know what with respect to - if we did it to r, then we could put in infinity and zero, but that goes a bit weird. I believe that the R in that equation should be the radius of the object, that we don't know! Also, we want to find the velocity, so changing it to [tex]\frac{dr}{dt}[/tex] won't actually help us. Anyone know where we'd begin?

Physics news on Phys.org
Treat this as a conservation of energy problem. (That's where your equation for free fall speed comes from.) What's the change in PE when that mass goes from ∞ to the Sun's radius?

Ah, I think I see what you're getting at. KE + PE = 0 therefore

[tex] \frac{1}{2}v^2 = \frac{GM_{0}}{R} - \frac{GM_{0}}{R_{0}} [/tex]

meaning that our velocity would be like the equation from my original post but where R is the radius of the Sun, [tex]R_{0}[/tex] is infinity, making that term disappear, and [tex]M_{0}[/tex] is the mass of the falling object, giving a [tex]v_{ff}[/tex] of ~195.3 km/s. Did I do that right?

M0 is not the mass of the falling object. (Note that the mass of the object canceled out from your equation.)

This also assumes that you can ignore the motion of the Sun itself. Probably not the best idea, since the falling object has significant mass. To be a bit more accurate, figure out the speeds of both falling mass and sun. (Assuming both start out at rest.)

Thankfully, this question is only a couple of marks, we've been advised to ignore the Sun's motion for this. Going from the equation and making [tex]M_{0}[/tex] the mass of the Sun, gives the freefall velocity the same value as the escape velocity for the Sun. Would that be correct?

Yes. Solving for the escape velocity is just the inverse of this problem. Same equation!

Thanks ever so much! We were trying to go straight from the equation without taking into account where it comes from. We also have a slight tendency to overthink things! Thanks for your help! :)

What is the formula for calculating final speed and energy of a 0.1 solar mass falling into the sun?

The formula for calculating final speed and energy is: Final Speed = √(2GM(1/r - 1/2r0)) and Final Energy = -GMm/r0. In this case, M represents the mass of the sun, m represents the mass of the object, r represents the distance from the center of the sun, and r0 represents the initial distance from the center of the sun.

What is the value of G in the formula for calculating final speed and energy?

G, also known as the gravitational constant, is a universal constant that represents the strength of the gravitational force between two objects. Its value is approximately 6.67 x 10^-11 Nm^2/kg^2.

How does the distance from the center of the sun affect the final speed and energy?

The distance from the center of the sun, represented by r, is a crucial factor in determining the final speed and energy. As the object falls closer to the center of the sun, the value of r decreases, resulting in a higher final speed and energy due to the increasing gravitational force.

What is the significance of the object's initial distance from the center of the sun?

The initial distance from the center of the sun, represented by r0, also plays a significant role in calculating the final speed and energy. A larger value of r0 results in a lower final speed and energy, as the object starts with a lower gravitational potential energy and does not experience the full force of gravity until it falls closer to the sun.

How does the mass of the object affect the final speed and energy?

The mass of the object, represented by m, also has an impact on the final speed and energy. A higher mass results in a higher final speed and energy, as there is more mass for the gravitational force to act upon. However, the final speed and energy also depend on the mass of the sun, with a more massive sun resulting in a higher final speed and energy for the same object.