Calculating Speed of Falling Meter Stick

In summary, the conversation discusses a question about determining the speed of the center of mass of a uniform meter stick in two different scenarios: when the stick is released and falls to a frictionless table, and when one end of the stick remains in place as it falls. The conversation mentions using energy conservation to solve both cases and asks for guidance on how to approach the problem.
aug
First let me say I appreciate everyone on these forums who takes the time out to help.

My question is as follows:
It has 2 parts.

Part 1:
A uniform meter stick (1 m long) is held on its edge against a frictionless table. The meter stick is released and it falls to the table.

Part 2:
The meter stick is connected so the stick can still fall but one end remains in place.

This is all the information I have and I am suppose to figure out the speed of the center of mass.

I am completely lost as how to do this.
Any help or guidance would be extremely beneficial. Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hint: Both cases can be solved using energy conservation.

1. How do you calculate the speed of a falling meter stick?

The speed of a falling meter stick can be calculated using the formula: v = √(2gh), where v is the speed in meters per second, g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s²), and h is the height from which the stick is dropped.

2. What is the unit of measurement for calculating speed of a falling meter stick?

The unit of measurement for speed is meters per second (m/s).

3. Can the speed of a falling meter stick be negative?

Yes, the speed of a falling meter stick can be negative if it is moving in the opposite direction of the chosen reference frame.

4. Is air resistance a factor in calculating the speed of a falling meter stick?

No, air resistance is typically neglected when calculating the speed of a falling meter stick as it is considered to be negligible compared to the effects of gravity.

5. How does the mass of the meter stick affect its falling speed?

The mass of the meter stick does not affect its falling speed. According to the principle of inertia, objects of different masses fall at the same rate in the absence of air resistance.