Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Falling object at c

1. Jul 3, 2003 #1
    Gedenke experiment: Falling object upto c?

I would like to know the relativistic position expression for a falling object that could reach the speed of light.

P.S.: Suppose the only things, that exist in the universe, are a BIG attractive mass and the attracted "object".
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 4, 2003
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 4, 2003 #2
    Nothing with mass could be accelerated to c.

Even if it were to go into a black hole, starting an infinite distance away, once it crosses the event horizon, it is in a different spacetime.
  4. Jul 4, 2003 #3
    Gedenke experiment: Falling object upto c?

Bonjour Brad,

I shall agree with your mass issue.

Suppose, isolated in the universe , a small energetic object, with zero initial relative speed, somewhere far-far-far away from a non-negligeable gravitationnally attractive accumulation of energy (both with mass equivalence (m & M) for gravitational purpose ).

"m" shall be accelerated by "M", following gravitational effect, right?

While m's speed is within non-relativistic speed, I got no problem to express acceleration, speed and position equations.

What would be these equations when relativistic speed's effect is non-negligeable? (Should I ask this in Theoretical forum?)

P.S.: ..........................................................
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 4, 2003
  5. Jul 4, 2003 #4
  6. Jul 6, 2003 #5

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Welcome to Physics Forum, Imagine! :smile:
  7. Jul 7, 2003 #6
    Phobos, merci pour votre mot de bienvenue.

Brad, I red the rocket page. I also understand the origin of the following restriction: "The acceleration of the rocket must be measured at any given instant in a non-accelerating frame of reference travelling at the same instantaneous speed as the rocket".

Thanks, that was exactly what I searched.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?