1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Falling Object during flight

1. Feb 17, 2010 #1
    Was given this problem as a homework assignment but I would like to solve it...just need a push in the right direction.

An airliner is cruising at a ground speed of 450 knots. A flight attendant, serving drinks, accidentally knocks a bottle off her cart. The distance from the top of the cart to the deck is 3.5 ft. Using the Earth as the frame of reference, how many feet does the bottle travel between the moment it falls off the cart, and when it hits the airplane's deck? Report your answer to the nearest three decimal places.

S = [tex]S_{0}[/tex]+[tex]V_{0}[/tex]t + ([tex]1/2[/tex])a[tex]t^{2}[/tex]

A = 2[tex]s/t^{2}[/tex]

Maybe find the Hypotenuse?

Simply putting where do I begin. I would attempte this but I am not sure of how to start solving this problem...Help, maybe the correct equation...please?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 17, 2010 #2
  4. Feb 21, 2010 #3
    Here is what I came up with for the final answer! Hope this helps some in need...

A = 2*1.06 / 462 = 2.12/.2116 = 10.018 ft/s/s

450knots(0.46) = 450 knots * 1.15mph/1knot * 1.47ftps/1mph * (0.46s) = 333.27 ft

The plane traveled 333.27ft in .46 seconds.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook