1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Falling Object

1. Sep 14, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A helicopter is ascending vertically with a speed of 5.83 m/s. At a height of 121 m above the Earth, a package is dropped from a window. How much time does it take for the package to reach the ground?

2. Relevant equations
    Vfinal=Vinitial + at
    or
    Xfinal=Xinitial + Vinitial(t) + (1/2at)squared

3. The attempt at a solution
    I tried putting in my answer from the first equation but it was wrong, and every time I try the second equation I get a negative answer which doesn't make sense.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 14, 2010 #2
    negative time in physics doesn't really mean anything. all the negative means is that you put a negative -9.8 acceleration for gravity

the problem gives you this data:

d = 121m
    vi = 5.83 m/s (initial velocity is 5.83 meters per second. yes it is negative since it's going down but we aren't going to worry about it)
    a = 9.8m/s^2
    t = ?

so you use this equation:
    d= vi + 0.5at^2
    121 = 5.83+.5*9.8*t^2
    t = 4.8481 seconds

4. Sep 14, 2010 #3
    My online homework say's that's not correct. I'm also confused on how you derived your equation?

5. Sep 14, 2010 #4
    well i found out the velocity at the time of collision 1st with v^2 =vi^2 +2a(x-xi) to be 49.05 and then using the 1st equation i got the time to be 5.6 or 5.599

edit: if your homework was anything like mine then it was probably asking for that too and i found it easier to get that answer 1st

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook