1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Falling Object

1. Apr 10, 2012 #1
    A helicopter is ascending vertically with a velocity of 12.5ms^-1. At a height of 120m above the ground a package is dropped out the door.

How long does it take for the package to reach the ground ?.

The attempt at a solution

I know

U = 12.5ms
    A = -9.8ms
    V = 0ms
    S = 120m

Used t = v-u/a

T = 1.27 Seconds - the time it takes the object to stop ascending

Then used s = ut + .5 at^2 to find distance traveled

S = 7.97 meters

Adding this to the original height of 120m to get 127.97m

So now I have:

U = 0
    A = 9.8ms
    S = 127.97m

Use v^2 = u^2+2as to calculate the velocity after t

V = 50

Use V - U/A to get time

T = 5.1

Now I added the ascent and decent time to get total time before it hits the grounds

Total Time = 6.37 Seconds

Could someone look over this for me and tell me if I am even close to the correct answer ?.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 10, 2012 #2
    s=ut-0.5at^2
    S is not a distance traveled but the displacement.
    It is it's position with respect to the initial location.

4. Apr 10, 2012 #3

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

hi maca_404! :smile:
    no, V is not 0, is it? :redface:

5. Apr 10, 2012 #4
    I had V as the velocity after t as it is ascending I assume it would need to be a two part calculations. The first when the object is ascending and being slowed by gravity at 9.8ms till its final velocity is 0 hence the V = 0 at the beginning. Then a second calculations starting from a zero velocity and then accelerating at 9.8ms towards earth. Is this not the correct procedure and can this be done with just one equation ?.

6. Apr 10, 2012 #5

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

no

use azizlwl's :smile: standard constant acceleration equation, s= ut + 1/2 at2

7. Apr 10, 2012 #6
    Thank you for the replies, I am more than a bit confused now I use this ballistic calculator online http://www.convertalot.com/ballistic_trajectory_calculator.html

Entering a initial velocity of 12.5ms and a starting height of 120m and a angle of 90Deg straight up the resulting answer is the same as I obtained originally.

Is my answer incorrect ?. Or am I just going about it the wrong way ?

Thanks Again

8. Apr 10, 2012 #7

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

i didn't check your original answer, as soon as i saw that you'd started the wrong way i stopped reading

your answer looks correct, but you won't get many marks in the exam for doing all that unnecessary work :redface:

try it the short way

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook