Exploring the Physics of Dropped Objects: Does Speed Increase with Height?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of objects falling at the same time from different heights. It is established that objects dropped from the same height will land at the same time, but the question arises whether the same applies if one object is dropped after the other has already fallen a certain distance. It is concluded that the speed of an object does build up as it falls, until it reaches terminal velocity. This is due to the relationship between final velocity, initial velocity, displacement, and acceleration.
Learnphysics
I'm relatively new to physics.

I know that dropping 2 objects, at the distance from the ground, they will land at the same time.

But what would happen if you dropped objectA at 2 meters height, and held objectB at one meter height, and only let go of objectB, when ObjectA has already fallen 1m. Will they fall at the same time?

basically what I am asking is, does the speed of an object build up, the further it falls?

Physics news on Phys.org
No, because for object B, the initial velocity is 0, and for object A, the initial velocity when it gets to the location of object B is 4.4 m/s.

The relationship between final velocity, initial velocity, displacement, and acceleration is

[tex]V_f^2=V_i^2-2ad[/tex] where a = -9.8 m/s^2

So yes, the velocity builds up the further or longer you fall until you reach terminal velocity.

Last edited:
thanks, that cleared it up.

1. How does the speed of a dropped object change with height?

The speed of a dropped object increases as it falls due to the force of gravity. This acceleration is constant and causes the object to gain speed as it falls.

2. Is the speed increase linear or exponential?

The speed increase of a dropped object is linear, meaning that it gains speed at a constant rate as it falls. This is known as uniform acceleration.

3. Does the mass of the object affect its speed?

According to Newton's Second Law of Motion, the mass of an object does not affect its speed when dropped from a certain height. However, a heavier object will have more inertia and may take longer to reach its maximum speed due to air resistance.

4. How does air resistance affect the speed of a dropped object?

Air resistance, also known as drag, acts in the opposite direction of motion and can slow down the speed of a dropped object. This effect is more noticeable on lighter and larger objects, causing them to reach a terminal velocity where their speed remains constant.

5. Does the height of the drop affect the speed of the object?

Yes, the height of the drop does affect the speed of the object. The higher the drop, the longer the object has to accelerate and gain speed. Therefore, a higher drop will result in a higher maximum speed for the object.