1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Falling on a rope

1. Jan 11, 2005 #1
    Hello
    I often go climbing. When I went with a guide recently he told me that you should be especially carefull when climbing when you only have a small length of rope paid out arguing that because the rope is so short at this point it must take a large shock under a fall. Conversley, if you have a lot of rope paid out, although you will fall further the shock on the rope will be less because the rope has a larger length over which to expand. I think I have solved the problem and just wanted to see if you guys come up with the same answer. Can anyone come up with a quantitative relation to prove the above?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 11, 2005 #2
    let take the case to the extreme... if you have a loooooong rope about 1mile to extent and you fall...... do you think the rope could save you after falling down a mile??

something using intuition is more important than using formulas to solve problemmmmm

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook