How long does it take for a falling particle to reach the halfway point?

In summary, Tide explains that the time it takes for a particle to fall to the ground, based on its height and the gravitational force, is .707 seconds. Slick then helps tide out the math for those who may have difficulty with it.
SlickJ
I had this question in class the other day and need some help:

A particle falls to Earth starting from rest at a great height. Neglecting air resistance, show that the particle requires about 9/11 of the total time of fall to traverse the first half of the distance.

Anything would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
That is a very hard thing to show... because it is not correct.

The equation of motion for a falling body, starting from height D is:

[tex] h = D - \frac 1 2 g t^2 [/tex]

so the time to reach the ground is

[tex] t_0 = \sqrt { \frac { 2 D} g } [/tex]

The time to reach the half way point is:

[tex] \frac D 2 = D - \frac 1 2 g t^2 [/tex]

or

[tex] t_{\frac D 2} = \sqrt {\frac D g }[/tex]

So

[tex] \frac {t_{\frac D 2}} {t_0} = \frac 1 {\sqrt 2} = .707 [/tex]

this is not [itex] \frac 9 {11} [/itex]

Last edited:
Integral,

When the problem states "from a great height" I interpret that as meaning the inverse square behavior of gravity must be taken into account. Ultimately, this means comparing

[tex]\int_{1/2}^{1} \frac {dr}{\sqrt{ \frac {1}{r} -1}}[/tex]

with

[tex]\int_{0}^{1} \frac {dr}{\sqrt{ \frac {1}{r} -1}}[/tex]

which works out to about 9/11.

Ok,
That makes sense.

Thank you both.
I was pursuing Integral's method at first before running into the same problem. I agree with Tide's reasoning but I don't follow how you got to that integral, and even more so how I would solve that integral. Could you help with that?
Thanks

Slick,

Energy will be conserved so we can relate speed with position:

[tex]v = \sqrt { 2GM \left( \frac {1}{r} - \frac {1}{r_0} \right)[/tex]

But [itex]v = \frac {dr}{dt}[/itex] so we can integrate the equation and find

[tex]t = \frac {1}{\sqrt {2GM}} \int_{r}^{r_0} \frac {dr'}{\sqrt { \frac {1}{r'} - \frac {1}{r_0}}}[/tex]

Use [itex]r = 0[/itex] to get the full time to fall and [itex]r = r_0/2[/itex] to get the time to fall halfway. It is helpful to use a new variable of integration given by [itex]r/r_0[/itex]. The rest of the problem reduces to getting approximations for the integrals though the integral from 0 to 1 reduces to something called a Beta Function (with a little effort you can cast it into a form that you can look up in integral tables) and the integral from 1/2 to 1 is reduces to an Incomplete Beta Function and you might have to use a numerical approxiimation to evaluate it. Some graphing calculators will do them both numerically for you.

Ohhh, ok. Thank you Tide, much appreciated. I just missed that leap from setting up the integral to what you posted I guess. Thanks everyone.

1. What is a Falling Particle From Space?

A Falling Particle From Space refers to an object (such as a meteor or comet) that enters the Earth's atmosphere and falls towards the ground due to the force of gravity.

2. How fast does a Falling Particle From Space travel?

The speed of a Falling Particle From Space can vary depending on its size and composition. On average, meteors can travel at speeds of 25,000 to 160,000 miles per hour.

3. What happens to a Falling Particle From Space when it enters the Earth's atmosphere?

As the Falling Particle From Space enters the Earth's atmosphere, it experiences an increase in air resistance which causes it to heat up and create a bright streak of light in the sky. This is known as a meteor or shooting star.

4. Can a Falling Particle From Space cause damage?

Yes, larger Falling Particles From Space (such as asteroids or comets) can cause significant damage upon impact with the Earth's surface. However, most smaller particles disintegrate in the atmosphere and do not pose a threat.

5. How often do Falling Particles From Space enter the Earth's atmosphere?

It is estimated that around 48.5 tons of Falling Particles From Space enter the Earth's atmosphere each day. However, the majority of these particles are very small and disintegrate before reaching the ground.