Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Falling Particle From Space

1. Dec 4, 2004 #1
    I had this question in class the other day and need some help:

A particle falls to Earth starting from rest at a great height. Neglecting air resistance, show that the particle requires about 9/11 of the total time of fall to traverse the first half of the distance.

Anything would be appreciated.

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 4, 2004 #2

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That is a very hard thing to show... because it is not correct.

The equation of motion for a falling body, starting from height D is:

[tex] h = D - \frac 1 2 g t^2 [/tex]

so the time to reach the ground is

[tex] t_0 = \sqrt { \frac { 2 D} g } [/tex]

The time to reach the half way point is:

[tex] \frac D 2 = D - \frac 1 2 g t^2 [/tex]

or

[tex] t_{\frac D 2} = \sqrt {\frac D g }[/tex]

So

[tex] \frac {t_{\frac D 2}} {t_0} = \frac 1 {\sqrt 2} = .707 [/tex]

this is not [itex] \frac 9 {11} [/itex]

Last edited: Dec 4, 2004
  4. Dec 4, 2004 #3

Tide

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Integral,

When the problem states "from a great height" I interpret that as meaning the inverse square behavior of gravity must be taken into account. Ultimately, this means comparing

[tex]\int_{1/2}^{1} \frac {dr}{\sqrt{ \frac {1}{r} -1}}[/tex]

with

[tex]\int_{0}^{1} \frac {dr}{\sqrt{ \frac {1}{r} -1}}[/tex]

which works out to about 9/11.

5. Dec 4, 2004 #4

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Ok,
    That makes sense.

6. Dec 4, 2004 #5
    Thank you both.
    I was pursuing Integral's method at first before running into the same problem. I agree with Tide's reasoning but I don't follow how you got to that integral, and even moreso how I would solve that integral. Could you help with that?
    Thanks

7. Dec 4, 2004 #6

Tide

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Slick,

Energy will be conserved so we can relate speed with position:

[tex]v = \sqrt { 2GM \left( \frac {1}{r} - \frac {1}{r_0} \right)[/tex]

But [itex]v = \frac {dr}{dt}[/itex] so we can integrate the equation and find

[tex]t = \frac {1}{\sqrt {2GM}} \int_{r}^{r_0} \frac {dr'}{\sqrt { \frac {1}{r'} - \frac {1}{r_0}}}[/tex]

Use [itex]r = 0[/itex] to get the full time to fall and [itex]r = r_0/2[/itex] to get the time to fall halfway. It is helpful to use a new variable of integration given by [itex]r/r_0[/itex]. The rest of the problem reduces to getting approximations for the integrals though the integral from 0 to 1 reduces to something called a Beta Function (with a little effort you can cast it into a form that you can look up in integral tables) and the integral from 1/2 to 1 is reduces to an Incomplete Beta Function and you might have to use a numerical approxiimation to evaluate it. Some graphing calculators will do them both numerically for you.

8. Dec 6, 2004 #7
    Ohhh, ok. Thank you Tide, much appreciated. I just missed that leap from setting up the integral to what you posted I guess. Thanks everyone.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?