1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Falling pencil (inverted pendulum)

1. Mar 8, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A pencil of length l = 0.2 m is balanced on its point. How much time does it take to fall? Assume that the pencil is a massless rod and all of its mass is at the tip. To make the math easier, assume the small angle approximation.

2. Relevant equations

theta (double dot) = g/l sin theta

T = 2 pi (l/g) ^ (1/2)

3. The attempt at a solution

Since the pencil seems to be an inverted pendulum and the fall would be only 1/4 of the period, I first tried T/4 = pi/2 (.2/9.8) ^ (1/2). But that is not a correct solution.

Next I tried to rearrange and integrate

1/sin theta d2theta = g/l dt2

1/sin theta = sin theta/ sin2theta= sin theta/(1 - cos2theta)

let u = cos theta so du=- sin theta d theta

Integral( 1/ u2 - 1) du = 1/2 ln(u - 1) - 1/2 ln (u + 1)

[ 1/2 ln (cos theta -1) - 1/2 ln (cos theta + 1)] d theta = gt/l dt

I get lost here because the cos pi/2 is zero which makes the above meaningless.

The way I interpret the problem, all the mass is at the balancing point. So how can you use energy to calculate potential difference or KE?

If someone could just give a hint as to the approach, I would be greatful.

Thank you.
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 11, 2014 #2
    if the whole pencil can fall then θ will be π/2 how can the 'small angle approximation' hold?

4. Mar 11, 2014 #3
    Sorry, I agree, but that was the problem that I was given.

I think as in a lot of physics problems the assumption is made to make a good approximation.

As in how to design an automatic chicken plucker: First you assume a perfectly symmetrical, spherical chicken...

5. Mar 11, 2014 #4

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The small angle approximation helps you to get started. ##\theta(0)=0## doesn't. :smile:

6. Mar 14, 2014 #5
    Answer to pencil problem

Attached is the answer for your falling pencil pleasure. Hope this helps someone.

Attached Files:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted