What is the final angular velocity of a falling physical pendulum?

In summary, the conversation discusses the final angular velocity of a meter stick standing straight up and pivoted at the bottom as it hits the table. The person asking the question is unable to find information on velocity and mentions the possibility of an elliptic integral being involved. They also mention using the information to approximate the force needed for a pushup. The conversation ends with a request for links, hints, or solutions on the topic.
HoloBarre
All --

With a meter stick standing straight up and pivoted at the *bottom*, what is
the final angular velocity as it hits the table?

I've found plenty of standard stuff on physical pendulums (meter stick
pendulum), where I = 1/12 MR^2, period, etc, but I can't find velocity info.

My dim recollection, and perhaps why I can't find the solution so quick, is
that an elliptic integral is involved??

The application is an interesting one:
I would like to approximate the force one would have to generate from a
pushup position sufficient to thrust one's self up to a standing position.

If I had the required Vo, I could probably figure stuff out from there.

I found some neat stuff, like the animations found in
http://www.myphysicslab.com/pendulum1.html ,
But, no velocity graph, and no physical pendulum. Otherwise well-done.

Any links, hints -- or solutions -- appreciated.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Consider it to be a rod with MOI I=1/12 ML2, conservation of energy would work well here.

What is a physical pendulum?

A physical pendulum is a type of pendulum that consists of a rigid body suspended from a fixed point by a pivot or hinge. It is used to study the motion of a body under the influence of gravity.

How does a falling physical pendulum behave?

A falling physical pendulum exhibits a complex motion known as chaotic motion. It is characterized by unpredictable changes in direction and speed, making it difficult to predict its behavior.

What factors affect the motion of a falling physical pendulum?

The motion of a falling physical pendulum is affected by several factors, including the length and mass of the pendulum, the angle of release, and the presence of external forces such as air resistance or friction.

What is the formula for calculating the period of a falling physical pendulum?

The formula for calculating the period of a falling physical pendulum is T = 2π√(I/mgh), where T is the period, I is the moment of inertia of the pendulum, m is its mass, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the distance from the pivot point to the center of mass.

How is a falling physical pendulum used in scientific research?

A falling physical pendulum is commonly used as a model system to study chaotic motion and to understand the behavior of complex systems. It is also used in studies of fluid dynamics, earthquake prediction, and other areas of physics and engineering.