1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Falling Rod, Rotation?

1. Apr 12, 2008 #1
    A rigid assembly is made of a light weight rod 2 m long and a heavy gold ball which is attached at the middle of the rod. The rigid assembly initially rests with one end on the ground in a vertical position. If released what speed does the top of the rod have when it strikes the ground?

[tex]Rotational \ Inertia \ for \ a \ thin \ rod \ about \ central \ axis; \ \ I = \frac{1}{12} M L^{2}[/tex]

[tex]Rotational \ Inertia \ for \ a \ thin \ rod \ about \ non-central \ axis; \ \ I = \frac{1}{12} M L^{2} + M R(from \ center)^{2}[/tex]

[tex]Rotational \ Inertia \ for \ a \ sphere; \ \ I = \frac{2}{5} M r^{2}[/tex]

My Work:
    Any help where to start? I am lost. I know that the final answer is 8.85 m/s.
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 13, 2008 #2
    Show some attempt..
  4. Apr 13, 2008 #3

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi blue5t1053! :smile:

You're making this too complicated … no wonder you don't know where to start. :rolleyes:

When a question uses words like "lightweight" and "heavy", it means that you can ignore the lightweight one.

So you don't need to consider moments of inertia … the rod is lightweight, so it counts as 0, and the ball is heavy, so you can regard it as a point.

So this is just a point mass. :smile:

(But is the ground frictionless, or is the rod attached to the ground? :confused:)

Now try it … ! :smile:
  5. Apr 13, 2008 #4
    I am to assume that the ground is frictionless and that it will rotate from where the rod had made contact with the ground.

I can't find any way to calculate it without mass. What principle would I use to find it? I tried using angular velocity, but I couldn't make it work.
  6. Apr 13, 2008 #5
    Would this be right?

[tex]m*g*h = \frac{1}{2} * m * v^{2}[/tex]

[tex]9.8 \frac{m}{sec^{2}} * 1 m = \frac{1}{2} * v^{2}[/tex]

[tex]\sqrt{\frac{9.8 \frac{m}{sec^{2}} * 1 m}{\frac{1}{2}}} = v[/tex]

[tex]v = 4.427 \frac{m}{sec} \ ; \ then *2 m \ for \ top \ of \ rod[/tex]

[tex]v = 8.85 \frac{m}{sec}[/tex]
  7. Apr 13, 2008 #6

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi blue5t1053! :smile:

You don't need the mass … it will be the same on both sides of any equation … it always cancels out.

Draw a diagram showing the rod at a typical angle θ.

Since you don't know the value of the normal force… and you'd rather avoid calculating it … get an angular acceleration by taking moments about the bottom of the rod! :smile:
  8. Apr 13, 2008 #7

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

(I forgot you were only asked to find the final velocity! :redface:)

Yes, that looks fine! :smile:
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?