Falling Skydiver Accel. Prob

• Thread starter holly
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Falling
In summary, the conversation includes a question about the acceleration of a falling skydiver, with options for the answer. The professor's answer is given as .2g, but the individual asking the question believes it should be .5g based on their calculations. They also mention the difficulty of not knowing which answers are correct because the professor purposely gives wrong answers. The summary concludes with the individual stating their belief that the professor is incorrect.
holly
Well, you'd think I could understand these problems by now, but...

Q. A falling skydiver of mass 100 kg experiences 500-N air resistance. The accleration of the skydiver is: a) More than .5g b).2g c).4g d).5g.

The prof gave the answer as .2g, but I get .5g by this: a=F/m. I put in 500N for F, and 1000N for his mass. Am I doing it backwards? A difficulty is that the professor will purposefully give wrong answers to us in order to "make us think," but we never know which are the wrong ones and which are right because we are just now learning this...makes it very hard for me to progress...plus I'm dumb I think.

Thanking you for any help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Originally posted by holly
Well, you'd think I could understand these problems by now, but...

Q. A falling skydiver of mass 100 kg experiences 500-N air resistance. The accleration of the skydiver is: a) More than .5g b).2g c).4g d).5g.

The prof gave the answer as .2g, but I get .5g by this: a=F/m. I put in 500N for F, and 1000N for his mass.

Draw a FBD.

981N pushing down. 500N pushing up. Total of 481 pushing down.

[tex]a = \frac{F}{m}[/tex]

[tex]a = \frac{481}{100}[/tex]

a = 4.81

g = 4.81/9.81
g = 0.49

Your prof is a moron.

It sounds like you are on the right track with your understanding of the problem. The equation a = F/m is correct, and if you plug in the values of 500N for F and 100 kg for m, you should get an acceleration of .5g.

However, it is possible that the professor may have rounded the answer to .2g for simplicity. It is also possible that there is some other factor at play that you may not be aware of yet.

In any case, it can be frustrating when you feel like you are not understanding a concept, especially when the professor intentionally gives wrong answers. My advice would be to seek clarification from the professor or a teaching assistant and ask for more practice problems to solidify your understanding. Don't be too hard on yourself for not understanding right away - learning takes time and practice. Keep at it and you will get there!

1. What factors affect the acceleration of a falling skydiver?

The acceleration of a falling skydiver is affected by two main factors: air resistance and gravity. Air resistance is the force that opposes the motion of the skydiver and increases as the skydiver's speed increases. Gravity is the force that pulls the skydiver towards the ground and causes them to accelerate.

2. How does the acceleration of a skydiver change during a freefall?

During a freefall, the acceleration of a skydiver increases until they reach a terminal velocity, which is the maximum speed that the skydiver can reach due to the balance between air resistance and gravity. Once the skydiver reaches terminal velocity, their acceleration will remain constant.

3. Is the acceleration of a skydiver affected by their weight?

Yes, the acceleration of a skydiver is affected by their weight because gravity is directly proportional to an object's mass. The greater the mass of the skydiver, the greater the force of gravity and therefore, the greater the acceleration.

4. How does the acceleration of a skydiver compare to that of a falling object with no air resistance?

The acceleration of a skydiver is greater than that of a falling object with no air resistance because the skydiver is also affected by air resistance which slows down their acceleration. A falling object with no air resistance experiences a constant acceleration due to gravity.

5. Can the acceleration of a skydiver be controlled?

Yes, the acceleration of a skydiver can be controlled by changing their body position or by using a parachute. By changing their body position, the skydiver can decrease or increase their air resistance and therefore, their acceleration. A parachute also increases air resistance and slows down the skydiver's acceleration, allowing them to land safely.