Why Do We Feel Weightless in Orbit But Not on Earth?

In summary, when we fall near the earth, our stomachs lurch due to the sudden change in our body's position and acceleration. However, astronauts who spend extended periods of time in free-fall state out in orbit eventually acclimate to this sensation and no longer experience it. Space-sickness is still a common issue among astronauts, with no clear way to predict who will experience it. Factors such as visual stimuli and previous experiences with heights may play a role in one's susceptibility to space-sickness. Interestingly, some individuals who have no problem with activities such as skydiving may still experience this sensation in certain situations, such as going over a hump-backed bridge.
daveed
how come when we fall near the earth, our stomachs lurch, but astronauts in their free-fall state out in orbit feel fine?

Physics news on Phys.org
I'd say that it has to do more with acclimation than anything else. On Earth we generally don't fall long enough to get used to the sensation. In orbit the body just adjusts to the new "norm" and eventually just ignores it.

daveed said:
how come when we fall near the earth, our stomachs lurch, but astronauts in their free-fall state out in orbit feel fine?

Some astronauts do get space-sickness. Last I heard, in spite of a fair amount of research, nobody has been able to predict which ones will get space-sick and which one's won't. One might think that the short duration free-fall flights in the "vomit comet" would help screen out astronauts that were prone to space-sickness, but apparently this doesn't actually work.

This is frome a usenet posting from a usually reliable source:

http://yarchive.net/space/science/spacesickness.html

pervect said:
nobody has been able to predict which ones will get space-sick and which one's won't. One might think that the short duration free-fall flights in the "vomit comet" would help screen out astronauts that were prone to space-sickness, but apparently this doesn't actually work.
This might involve visual stimulae as well as physical situations. I, for instance, am absolutely terrified of heights but will do anything in an aeroplane. There are no reference lines to the ground, so it doesn't feel like being 'high'. Low-g in a plane feels perfectly natural (barely noticeable), but it bugs the hell out of me in an elevator or in those instances when my car leaves the ground briefly. I would expect that to be worse in a space-station environment, where every movement makes your body act like a gyroscope and things that should be on the ground are floating around your head.

daveed said:

I know the feeling you're talking about, and still get it if the car goes over a hump backed bridge, but I've been skydiving for 30 years, and have never suffered the same sensation, although 10,000 - 13,000 ft is still "near the earth" compared with astronauts.

If you're skydiving you should spend most of the time at terminal velocity and not accelerating, so you wouldn't get it as badly as an astronaut at least. Interesting that you've never felt it all though.

timberfella said:
I've been skydiving for 30 years
I will never understand why anyone would voluntarily climb out of a perfectly good aeroplane. :grumpy:

And you started doing that just about the same time that I started driving them. :biggrin:

Danger said:
I will never understand why anyone would voluntarily climb out of a perfectly good aeroplane. :grumpy:
There is only one way to gain that understanding... :wink:

russ_watters said:
There is only one way to gain that understanding... :wink:
That would involve telepathy, which I don't believe in, because sure as hell I'm never going to do it myself.

Those who believe in psycokinesis... raise my hand.

Danger said:
:redface:
So where do you get that name?

russ_watters said:
So where do you get that name?
You don't want to know. Let's just say that it's earned.

1. Why do astronauts feel weightless in orbit?

Astronauts feel weightless in orbit because they are in a state of freefall. While in orbit, they are constantly falling towards the Earth due to the force of gravity, but their horizontal velocity is fast enough to keep them in a circular motion around the planet. This creates a feeling of weightlessness as there is no support force pushing back against the force of gravity.

2. Why do we feel weightless in orbit but not on Earth?

On Earth, we feel the force of gravity pulling us towards the ground, but we also feel the support force from the ground pushing back against gravity. This creates a feeling of weight as our bodies are constantly being held up by the ground. In orbit, there is no support force, so we do not feel the weight of our own bodies.

3. Does gravity still exist in orbit?

Yes, gravity still exists in orbit. In fact, the force of gravity is what keeps objects in orbit around a larger body, such as the Earth. However, in orbit, the gravitational force is balanced by the centrifugal force of the object's motion, which creates the sensation of weightlessness.

4. Can you feel the difference in gravity between Earth and orbit?

No, you cannot feel the difference in gravity between Earth and orbit. The force of gravity is the same, but the sensation of weightlessness in orbit is due to the lack of a support force pushing back against gravity.

5. How does microgravity affect the human body?

Microgravity, or the feeling of weightlessness, can have various effects on the human body. Some of these effects include muscle atrophy, fluid shifts, and changes in bone density. Astronauts in orbit must exercise regularly and undergo physical therapy upon their return to Earth to combat these effects.