1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Falling wire in a B field

1. Mar 27, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A U-shaped conducting rail that is oriented vertically in a horizontal magnetic field. The rail has no electric resistance and does not move. A slide wire with mass m = 10 g, L = 0.45 m, and resistance R = 0.10 Ω can slide up and down without friction while maintaining electrical contact with the rail. A magnetic field of B = 1.5 T is perpendicular to the rail as shown. Determine the terminal velocity (in m/s) of the slide wire if it is released from rest and falls under the force of gravity.

2. Relevant equations

F(B field) = I*(L x B)
    F=mg
    Induced motional emf = -B*L*v
    Magnetic flux = B*L*x (with x being the other length of the rectangle which is (in this case) always changing)

3. The attempt at a solution

I am stuck on how to start this one. I'm pretty sure I have to find either the induced emf or the induced current. Then I could find the force of the magnetic field pushing up (against gravity) on the wire. Maybe? Any help on how to start this would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?
Draft saved Draft deleted