Fallrate Calculation: Constant Upward Force

• Thread starter mrdans777
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Calculation
In summary, the question is about the fall rate of an object with a constant upward force applied to it, compared to a similar object without the upward force. The answer is that the fall rate would be slower for the object with the upward force due to the net force being less than the gravitational force. This is in line with the Galileo experiment, where all objects fall at the same rate in the absence of air resistance. It is important to distinguish between force and mass when doing calculations and to use metric units for clarity.
mrdans777
I'm trying to figure out how fast an object will fall/accelerate with a constant upward force applied to it. For instance, a 100 lb object with a 25 lb upward force applied to it. Would it fall/accelerate at the same speed as a 75 lb object?

Physics news on Phys.org
Draw a free body diagram of the mass and use Newton's 2nd law i.e. , the sum of forces on it is equal to ##ma##.
mrdans777 said:
Would it fall/accelerate at the same speed as a 75 lb object?
What do you think about it??

This is one of those problems where it helps to be careful about the distinction between force and mass. It's also easier to get it right if you use the metric system because the distinction between mass (in kilograms) and force (in Newtons, and the gravitational force on a 1 kilogram mass is ##9.8 \approx 10## Newtons) is explicit - American units blur the two concepts together with the word "pound".

So I'll restate it in metric units and I'll bet that you can work it out for yourself: does a 100 kilogram object subjected to an upward force of 250 Newtons (the gravitational force on a 25 kilogram object) accelerate downwards more or less quickly than a 75 kilogram object in free fall? Calculate the net force on each, plug into ##F=ma##, see what comes out.

Likes beamie564
Thanks. What I get from these calculations is that fall rate would be the same in both instances. What trips me up is thinking about a helicopter or other VTOL aircraft descending straight down to land with a net mass of maybe 20 lbs or something, versus a 20 lb object. The helicopter comes down slowly but the object seems it would drop much faster, even initially, before acceleration becomes a factor.

mrdans777 said:
Thanks. What I get from these calculations is that fall rate would be the same in both instances.
Please do the calculations first and judge the results after.

Free falling objects all fall at the same rate, irrespective of mass (ignoring air resistance) - Galileo experiment. Applying an upward force would slow it down. Net result it would fall slower than the free falling object.

mrdans777 said:
Thanks. What I get from these calculations is that fall rate would be the same in both instances
If that's how the calculations came out, you made a mistake somewhere. Post your work and someone here will be able to spot the problem.

What is a fallrate calculation?

A fallrate calculation is a scientific method used to determine the speed at which an object falls due to the force of gravity.

What is the constant upward force in a fallrate calculation?

The constant upward force in a fallrate calculation is the force that is applied in the opposite direction of gravity, such as air resistance or the force of a parachute.

How is the constant upward force determined in a fallrate calculation?

The constant upward force is determined by measuring the resistance of the air or the strength of the parachute and factoring it into the overall equation for fallrate calculation.

Why is it important to calculate the fallrate with a constant upward force?

Calculating the fallrate with a constant upward force is important because it provides a more accurate and realistic measurement of an object's speed of descent. Without factoring in the constant upward force, the fallrate calculation would not reflect the true forces acting on the falling object.

What are some examples of objects that require fallrate calculation with a constant upward force?

Some examples of objects that require fallrate calculation with a constant upward force include skydivers, parachutes, and objects being dropped from airplanes. Other examples include bungee jumpers and any object that experiences air resistance during a fall.