1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

False Laws

1. Sep 25, 2005 #1
    Is it morally and/or legally incorrect to violate a false law ? -- by false law I mean a law that is incorrectly communicated from <A> to <B>, such that <B> only has knowledge of law details from information passed on by <A>.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 30, 2005 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

That is, after all, one of the tenets of the American Constitution.

(Of course, I have to interpret "wrong law" as "contrary to the constitution", which gives the concept a much more definite meanign as opposed to "one I happen to disagree with".)

Laws passed by the legislature can be overturned in court but a case has to be brought first- the court cannot just announce that a recently passed law is unconstitutional. And the case has to brought by someone with with a "legitimate interest"- someone who has been harmed by the law- that is, someone who has been arrested for violating that law. If you believe that a law is wrong (unconstitutional) and should be overturned (not just that you don't happen to like it) then you have a civic duty to violate that law.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?