Creating a Solution to False Medicine in Africa

• Thread starter verzix
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Medicine
In summary, the expert believes that developing a device to read the chemical composition of a substance to confirm its authenticity is a challenging but achievable goal, while the socio-political solution is more realistic than hoping for a government change in health policy.
verzix
Good evening, I shall like receiving some advice and knowing if there would be some people to follow me in this project. The problems bound to false medicine in Africa are so much many. I have 4 friends who were affected by the malaria and who died, because they took false medicine. They are thousands to die so.I then said myself, that it would be easier if each had a mini spectrometer which would be connected with its telephone. So each can distinguish false medicine of the truths. But I know only the composition of medicine because I am a student in pharmaceutical science. I need advice and if is possible, to work with every interested people. Thank you

Biology news on Phys.org
Issues related to fake drugs aren't uncommon in developing countries where import-export custom officials or drug related authorities are bribeable. Even with the "true" ones, screening them for safe use and to eliminate a very small amount of metabolites that may affect takers health is also problematic in pharmaceutical industry.
And Yes I think spectroscopy-like machines can be of help to verify the imported goods. My advice is to contact your local authorities and explain to them your concerns.

The authorities of this country, as of mine and several other African countries make nothing for. I tried, I met Secretaries who answered that they better had to make, I also saw the dean of my facult, but what's the use, we even have no real laboratory. I do not want to give up, I do not want to be any more a spectator, I want to fight for this cause, but I do not really know how
Pepper Mint said:
Issues related to fake drugs aren't uncommon in developing countries where import-export custom officials or drug related authorities are bribeable. Even with the "true" ones, screening them for safe use and to eliminate a very small amount of metabolites that may affect takers health is also problematic in pharmaceutical industry.
And Yes I think spectroscopy-like machines can be of help to verify the imported goods. My advice is to contact your local authorities and explain to them your concerns.

I am Cameroonian, but I lived in Democratic Republic of the Congo, there is pharmacy everywhere, everybody can open one, even a plumber. The government cannot close these "pharmacy" because it makes nothing to improve the life of the population. Except this, even in African countries stricter, false medicine is always consumed by the population because no way(means) of distinction within the reach of all. Saddened for my English, I am French-speaking

Reminded me about

Borek said:
Reminded me about

Very cool.

Thanks to you, it is 1 am here, I did not see the time spent, so much I read fervently the newspaper of these young people...

It is very interesting

Okay, you've suggested one prong of attack: developing a device that can read the chemical composition of a substance to confirm its authenticity. I don't know how realistic that is. Obstacles I could imagine: (i) a layperson could would use it effectively with minimal false readings, and (ii) it would need to be affordable within a population that doesn't have a lot of money in the first place. That doesn't mean one shouldn't try to develop something like this, but they are challenges.

I think another prong is the socio-political one. The pharmaceutical industry is one that requires professional regulation and long term, the country in question needs to move towards a model where pharmacies and pharmacists are regulated, and/or where the government is in a sufficient position to enforce restricted activities and where professional colleges are independent and relatively free of conflicting interests. On top of this there is also industrial regulation and enforcement. I realize this is not easy, and it won't happen over night, but I think it can go a long way to ensure quality management and safety in medicine.

Likes Pepper Mint
Choppy, thank you for your intervention. You are right, the realization of this project did not shoe in one night, I know it. and even those who gave me an idea through the previous video know it. Past of the idea in the idea realized will take time. Very sincerely, I shall have liked working with some people who really know what they are doing. So things would go more quickly. This project still is more realistic than to hope to see the government changed health policy. And realized, it will be millions of lives that can be saved. Am I a dreamer, no, I don't think so, because in spite of the complexity of the thing, it remains practicable

I don't think technology is the answer, better education and regulation from the government is.

You can give everyone in Africa a mass spectrometer, but if they believe the charlatans selling them the medication it will do little good.

Unless there is a drastic supply problem were medically trained professionals are giving out medication they believe to be authentic, in which case it seems easier to provide pharmacists with a method to test their supply, i.e. readily available lab equipment.

There are problems at every level. The first one is at the level of the supervisory body of medicine, he makes some good work for the border of the country, but inside the work is a mirage.

The second is at the level of pharmacies. There are no regulations for the opening of a pharmacy. And the worst is that these pharmacies stocks up little of everywhere. The managers of these pharmacy have no way to detect false medicine. And consequently, the population consumes without being aware of it.

It sometimes happens that a person changes pharmacy because she bought a medicine which reality was only some starch. But by changing pharmacy, she does not still know if the new medicine is real one or forgery. it settles down then a doubt which can play psychologically on the process of cure.

I think that the solutions to a given problem have to adapt themselves in the conditions of sociopolitical life, reality

What is false medicine and why is it a problem in Africa?

False medicine, also known as counterfeit or fake medicine, refers to medications that have been deliberately and fraudulently mislabeled or misrepresented. This is a major problem in Africa because it can lead to serious health consequences for individuals who unknowingly take these fake medications, and can also contribute to the spread of diseases.

What are the common sources of false medicine in Africa?

The sources of false medicine in Africa can vary, but some of the most common sources include unregulated markets, online sales, and informal distribution networks. These medications may also be smuggled in from other countries or manufactured locally with poor quality control.

What are the potential solutions to addressing false medicine in Africa?

One potential solution is to increase regulation and oversight of the pharmaceutical industry in Africa. This can include stricter laws and penalties for those who produce and distribute fake medicines, as well as implementing systems for tracking and verifying the authenticity of medications. Another solution is to increase education and awareness among healthcare providers and the general public about the dangers of false medicine.

How can technology be used to combat false medicine in Africa?

Technology can play a crucial role in addressing the issue of false medicine in Africa. This can include using track and trace systems, such as serialization and barcoding, to verify the authenticity of medications. Mobile applications and online databases can also be utilized to track and report suspected cases of fake medicine, as well as educate consumers about how to identify and avoid counterfeit medications.

What role can international collaboration play in solving the problem of false medicine in Africa?

International collaboration is essential in addressing the issue of false medicine in Africa. This can include sharing information and resources between countries, as well as working together to develop and implement global standards for medication regulation and counterfeit detection. Additionally, international organizations can provide funding and support for initiatives aimed at combating false medicine in Africa.