Falsified Resume Forces Resignation of MIT Dean

Actually, MIT probably has no choice than to fire her.
Agreed and for the reason you gave.
and sue her for back pay.
I don't see this part.

The issue is that she lied on her resume. If she had told the truth on her resume, and still was promoted, and then it came out that the promotion was inappropriate, surely the outcome would have been much different.

As someone who lives and drives in NYC everyday, I can tell you why this sort of thing really bothers me. Imagine 3 car lanes, and only the right one can (according to the traffic signs) exit into the highway. You are in that lane, slowly progressing forward, waiting your turn just like a car behind you and in front of you to exit and proceed onto your destination. You've paid your dues and by all probabilities and laws of society and physics you are sure to get off after 10 or so cars in front of you do so. Now the NYC reality: every M**F*** on the middle and left lane tries to cut you off and merge into the right lane creating a traffic situation, the entire right lane you are in now comes to a hault and the serene order is disrupted. You are now forced to deal with the queuing theory and your exit time has been considerable increased. You are MAD AS HELL because the just system doesnt work. Its anarchy.

Tell me - why should someone who was 2 minutes behind you now be ahead of you just because they break a rule and cause delays for others? This woman is no better - and if she was 'good' at her job imagine how much better someone else would've been who was meant for that job. Someone more qualified, who would've had a BETTER outcome for MIT in the long run. Remember that just because someone is good doesnt mean they are the best. And it certainly doesnt mean that they are not in fact the worst. This woman could in fact be THE worst person for this particular job. Hell, what if I had her job - I guarantee you I would've done a better job - yet I dont want that job, but I'm sure there are those who are more deserving and would be more fit for the job and this is not a grocery shop we are talking about... *puts on 300 "this is Sparta!!" mood * -- THIS IS MIT! The god damned BEST (supposedly) institution in these United States. Who does she think she is to tamper with such noble causes as highest education? Why, this woman could've single handedly screwed this entire country with her blatant disregard for idealistic principles and lies and deceits she used to get her ways.

I despise people like her.
You obviously arent fit for living in a big city. :smile: Man if you get stressed like that at traffic you are going to die young.

It seems like lately people are using entirely fake diplomas.

A high-ranking career official in the Homeland Security Department apparently obtained her doctorate from a Wyoming diploma mill.

http://www.gcn.com/online/vol1_no1/22294-1.html [Broken]

edit:
In some cases the federal government had picked up the tab for fake degrees.

The audit agency report cited the cases of five unnamed federal employees who had received degrees from unaccredited schools: three from the National Nuclear Safety Agency, one from the Transportation Department and one from the Homeland Security Department. The facts GAO presented about the DHS official, whom it identified as Employee No. 5, matched the career of Laura Callahan, a senior director in the department's CIO office who recently resigned after being on paid leave following the disclosure by Washington Technology and Government Computer News that her degrees came from a diploma mill.

http://www.washingtontechnology.com/online/1_1/23510-1.html [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
Astronuc
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Hamilton University, according to an Internet search, is located in Evanston, Wyo. It is affiliated with and supported by Faith in the Order of Nature Fellowship Church, also in Evanston. The state of Wyoming does not license Hamilton because it claims a religious exemption. Oregon has identified Hamilton University as a diploma mill unaccredited by any organization recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
:rofl: I wonder if Callahan ever set foot in Wyoming - or did she do course work by mail or on-line?

Hamilton University’s enrollment application and enrollment invitation spell out the simple requirements for students who wish to obtain a Ph.D.

$3,600, payable up front by bank draft or personal check only. Hamilton does not accept credit cards.

Completing one course at home on “personal, business and professional ethics.” Hamilton provides the course workbook, and the student must complete the open-book examination that is included. The school’s materials state the course and test require an average of five to eight hours to complete.

Writing one paper relevant to the area in which the Ph.D. is being sought. The minimum length for the paper is 2,000 words, or roughly four pages, and will “be referred to as a dissertation,” the materials say.
:yuck:

This one "stands behind their work":bugeye:

http://www.diplomasandtranscripts.com/

It says "The ONLY novelty diploma site with a MONEY BACK GUARANTEE!!"

Excellent. If the diploma is not real novelty you can get a refund!

EDIT: ...unless it's a novelty guarantee of course.

EDIT2: Do you suppose they accept novelty money?

Last edited:
cronxeh
Gold Member
Like russ said her accomplishments are meaningless, and as far as I know if you lied on a federal, state, or city application or misrepresented yourself in any way - that is a felony. http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/local/261747_diplomamill04.html" [Broken]People not only lose their jobs they go to jail. This is not just about some liberal touchy-feely 'aww she bent the truth let her go' crap. This is about a high school grad who was called a DR for nearly 3 decades and put on this facade of competency. Imagine you are a college student who pays 30 grand in tuition every year (wait a minute.. that sounds like an MIT student). Now you go to classes in hopes of attaining a high quality education. How would you feel if your professor was just a god damned high school graduate? At least she graduated from high school, maybe.

I am outraged that not nearly as many of you supposedly rational people are outraged as much as I am.

Astronuc
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
I am outraged that not nearly as many of you supposedly rational people are outraged as much as I am.
I save outrage for the tremendous loss of life in the Iraq War, and the dishonesty and harmful policies of the Bush administration, and the legendary corruption of the Republican controlled 109th Congress. Where's the outrage there? Jones is small potatoes in comparison.

Jones was wrong - no one has argued otherwise. On the other hand, despite the lack of integrity in this matter, it does appear that she is quite competent in her work.

Evo
Mentor
Like russ said her accomplishments are meaningless, and as far as I know if you lied on a federal, state, or city application or misrepresented yourself in any way - that is a felony. http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/local/261747_diplomamill04.html" [Broken]People not only lose their jobs they go to jail. This is not just about some liberal touchy-feely 'aww she bent the truth let her go' crap. This is about a high school grad who was called a DR for nearly 3 decades and put on this facade of competency. Imagine you are a college student who pays 30 grand in tuition every year (wait a minute.. that sounds like an MIT student). Now you go to classes in hopes of attaining a high quality education. How would you feel if your professor was just a god damned high school graduate? At least she graduated from high school, maybe.

Honestly, I look for competence, not degrees. Lots of incompetant people out there with degrees including PHD's. Lots of crackpots with PHD's.

She was obviously competent, probably the best MIT ever had. That doesn't excuse lying on her resume, but it is definite proof that having a degree or the lack of a degree is not an indication of competency. Don't get the two confused.

cronxeh
Gold Member
I save outrage for the tremendous loss of life in the Iraq War, and the dishonesty and harmful policies of the Bush administration, and the legendary corruption of the Republican controlled 109th Congress. Where's the outrage there? Jones is small potatoes in comparison.

Jones was wrong - no one has argued otherwise. On the other hand, despite the lack of integrity in this matter, it does appear that she is quite competent in her work.

The government is incompetent, the President is a fraud, and the war costs 240 million a day. We know this, and people are used to the greed of stupid people. But this is MIT. This is supposed to be the beacon of hope amids of all the ignorance in this country. This is our future, our children's future and perhaps future of the entire human race depends on those higher education institutions that would find the cure for cancer, find a way to create controlled fusion, develop better materials, find solutions to problems in science and engineering. If we let this go now it will never be the same again. It would be a collapse of integrity in the highest of standards.

But then again, you saw what happens when someone who doesnt deserve the job gets it - just read this post over.

Evo
Mentor
But then again, you saw what happens when someone who doesnt deserve the job gets it - just read this post over.
Yeah, MIT got the most outstanding Dean of Admissions in the school's history.

Truth is cronxeh, a degree means nothing as far as capabilities are concerned. Hate to fall back to the "Einstein" thing, but he only had an undergraduate degree and wasn't anywhere near the top of the class. But he had an extrordinary mind, just becuase he didn't excel in school or go on to get a higher education means nothing.

Apparently being an advisor to the president and one who appears to set national policy doesn't require a degree of any kind. And yet Karl Rove has made quite a splash in D.C.:eek:

cronxeh
Gold Member
Yeah, MIT got the most outstanding Dean of Admissions in the school's history.

Truth is cronxeh, a degree means nothing as far as capabilities are concerned. Hate to fall back to the "Einstein" thing, but he only had an undergraduate degree and wasn't anywhere near the top of the class. But he had an extrordinary mind, just becuase he didn't excel in school or go on to get a higher education means nothing.

He didnt lie and tell everyone he was a genius to get the chicks in bed. And as far as this Dean is concerned, her work can be seen in the male:female ratio - MIT is famous for having 50%-50% of ratio, compare that to my Uni where there were only 18% females or Caltech where its 28%. Most tech schools have low male to female ratio, but oh wait here comes MIT - an anamoly of sorts, or should I say a forced evolutionary change where the undeserving get the spots over those who are eligible by merit. I'm not being sexist but perhaps she is? What an odd scenario : a high school grad who couldnt cut it in RPI is a Dean of Admission who levels the field by making it 50-50 for other females. Gee, thats odd, sounds like a good movie script or a summary of a deposition.

Oh wait I have a graph http://www-tech.mit.edu/V127/N14/admissions/table.html

2005-2006:
7608 males applied, 10% admitted: 758. Number DENIED: 6850
2832 females applied, 26% admitteD: 736. Number DENIED: 2096

2004-2005:
7669 males applied, 11.7% admitted: 898. Number DENIED: 6771
2797 females applied, 27.4% admitted: 767. Number DENIED: 2030

2003-2004:
7651 males applied, 11.6% admitted: 885. Number DENIED: 6766
2898 females applied, 29.3% admitted: 850. Number DENIED: 2048

Thats roughly 20387 males rejected in a 3 year period, give or take those who reapplied. Doesnt it strike you odd that twice as many females were admitted than males? Sounds like a sexual discrimination with a motive.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marilee_Jones :
A spokesperson from Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute reported on April 26, 2007 that Jones attended the institute as a "part-time, non- matriculating student" from September 1974 to June 1975 and did not receive a degree.[9] Spokespeople from Union College and from Albany Medical College both reported that there are no records of Jones ever attending either institution.[9] The same day, MIT confirmed that Jones did not hold a bachelor's degree from any institution.[10]

Wait did i get this right? She was there for Fall 74 and Spring 75 - thats 2 semesters, and part time means 6 credits but less than 12.. so thats 12-20 credits that she earned? Or maybe got a D? Thats 3-4 classes at most!! This chick is an even bigger fraud than GW Bush - at least he actually went to Harvard.

Hey Evo, how is this for rant: Go to Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute today, take English101, Biology101, Chemistry101 and you can be a Dean of Admissions for a major private University! Make 170 grand a year and get to ruin lives of thousands of those nerds who used to be better than you in High School and College! Yeaah!

Last edited:
Ideally schools should require a degree because a degree helps you do your work better. Not because it will look better on you. However putting a premium on authenticity seems a long standing american tradition.

He didnt lie and tell everyone he was a genius to get the chicks in bed. And as far as this Dean is concerned, her work can be seen in the male:female ratio - MIT is famous for having 50%-50% of ratio, compare that to my Uni where there were only 18% females or Caltech where its 28%. Most tech schools have low male to female ratio, but oh wait here comes MIT - an anamoly of sorts, or should I say a forced evolutionary change where the undeserving get the spots over those who are eligible by merit. I'm not being sexist but perhaps she is? What an odd scenario : a high school grad who couldnt cut it in RPI is a Dean of Admission who levels the field by making it 50-50 for other females. Gee, thats odd, sounds like a good movie script or a summary of a deposition.

Oh wait I have a graph http://www-tech.mit.edu/V127/N14/admissions/table.html

2005-2006:
7608 males applied, 10% admitted: 758. Number DENIED: 6850
2832 females applied, 26% admitteD: 736. Number DENIED: 2096

2004-2005:
7669 males applied, 11.7% admitted: 898. Number DENIED: 6771
2797 females applied, 27.4% admitted: 767. Number DENIED: 2030

2003-2004:
7651 males applied, 11.6% admitted: 885. Number DENIED: 6766
2898 females applied, 29.3% admitted: 850. Number DENIED: 2048

Thats roughly 20387 males rejected in a 3 year period, give or take those who reapplied. Doesnt it strike you odd that twice as many females were admitted than males? Sounds like a sexual discrimination with a motive.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marilee_Jones :
A spokesperson from Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute reported on April 26, 2007 that Jones attended the institute as a "part-time, non- matriculating student" from September 1974 to June 1975 and did not receive a degree.[9] Spokespeople from Union College and from Albany Medical College both reported that there are no records of Jones ever attending either institution.[9] The same day, MIT confirmed that Jones did not hold a bachelor's degree from any institution.[10]

Wait did i get this right? She was there for Fall 74 and Spring 75 - thats 2 semesters, and part time means 6 credits but less than 12.. so thats 12-20 credits that she earned? Or maybe got a D? Thats 3-4 classes at most!! This chick is an even bigger fraud than GW Bush - at least he actually went to Harvard.

Hey Evo, how is this for rant: Go to Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute today, take English101, Biology101, Chemistry101 and you can be a Dean of Admissions for a major private University! Make 170 grand a year and get to ruin lives of thousands of those nerds who used to be better than you in High School and College! Yeaah!

Why are you so bitter? Did you get rejected to MIT?

Have you ever sat in an engineering class before? Theres always 1 girl in the class, 1 girl. Let's use a little common sense here, 10% of males get in, because ~2x more males applied than females did. Come on now con.....

Last edited:
cronxeh
Gold Member
Why are you so bitter? Did you get rejected to MIT?

Have you ever sat in an engineering class before? Theres always 1 girl in the class, 1 girl. Let's use a little common sense here, 10% of males get in, because ~2x more males applied than females did. Come on now con.....

Are you like, statistically challenged? The number of admitted students doesnt represent the academic merit, the difference is simply in the gender. The MIT has been known in recent decade to accept students simply to level the m:f ratio, which waters down the student body.

And unlike you, I can get a girl outside of classroom setting.

Astronuc
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
The number of admitted students doesnt represent the academic merit, the difference is simply in the gender. The MIT has been known in recent decade to accept students simply to level the m:f ratio, which waters down the student body.
And the evidence to support these conclusions is?

In my experience, the women in the engineering classes I attended were well qualified, and generally performed at the top of the class.

And from my experiences of meeting female graduates from MIT I must conclude that they certainly know their stuff and have earned their degree from MIT!

The statistical evidence cited is insufficient with respect to the qualifications of the individuals in the two populations to draw a valid conclusion as to merits behind the final numbers.

BTW, GWBush went to Yale, not Harvard.

cronxeh
Gold Member
And the evidence to support these conclusions is?

In my experience, the women in the engineering classes I attended were well qualified, and generally performed at the top of the class.

And from my experiences of meeting female graduates from MIT I must conclude that they certainly know their stuff and have earned their degree from MIT!

The statistical evidence cited is insufficient with respect to the qualifications of the individuals in the two populations to draw a valid conclusion as to merits behind the final numbers.

BTW, GWBush went to Yale, not Harvard.

Granted, some females may have had higher scores than the rejected males, but how statistically probable is that this number was too high to make a difference?

And GW went to Harvard after Yale, and actually got his MBA around same time this fraud dropped out of RPI, or technically, since she never even matriculated, resumed to the burger flipping state? Oh no wait she went on to become the Dean of Admissions eventually. A true American dream :biggrin:

Are you like, statistically challenged? The number of admitted students doesnt represent the academic merit, the difference is simply in the gender. The MIT has been known in recent decade to accept students simply to level the m:f ratio, which waters down the student body.

And unlike you, I can get a girl outside of classroom setting.

"Am I like?" .........me fail anglish, thats unpossible! - Ralph Wiggum.

Do you know for a fact that the female applicants are any less qualified than the male applicatnts?

Last time I checked, MIT was not watered down.

And unlike you, I can get a girl outside of classroom setting."

:confused: What was the point of that insult? :confused:

How old are you, 13?

Last edited:
russ_watters
Mentor

What the statistics say is pretty straightforward: Women are qualified to attend MIT at a rate two and a half times higher than men...assuming equal admissions standards, of course.

What's the actual truth? Well personally, I believe in equality of the sexes, but I guess I don't know for sure that women aren't far superior than men intellectually....

At the risk of turning this into an Affirmative Action debate, this very issue has been in court a number of times and pretty much always gets decided the same way. It takes a lot of creativity with admissions criteria to get around the Constitutional requirement for equality and artificially boost a desirable minority.

Last edited:
russ_watters
Mentor
She was obviously competent, probably the best MIT ever had. That doesn't excuse lying on her resume, but it is definite proof that having a degree or the lack of a degree is not an indication of competency. Don't get the two confused.
I really think you are missing a key point here, Evo. From the articles, it looks to me like what set her apart from other deans was the very issue that she was fraudulent about. If that's the case (I'd like to actually read the award citation...), her "achievement" is exactly equivalent to steroid use by an athlete. Her performance itself was the lie. She corrupted the admissions process of one of the most respected schools in the world! That makes her one of the worst deans they've ever had.

Evo
Mentor
I really think you are missing a key point here, Evo. From the articles, it looks to me like what set her apart from other deans was the very issue that she was fraudulent about. If that's the case (I'd like to actually read the award citation...), her "achievement" is exactly equivalent to steroid use by an athlete. Her performance itself was the lie. She corrupted the admissions process of one of the most respected schools in the world! That makes her one of the worst deans they've ever had.
She lied on her resume, which was wrong, but I haven't read anything that criticized her performance in her job. Can you link to the article(s) that say she was not doing an excellent job?

russ_watters
Mentor
You misunderstand, Evo - if Barry Bonds is eventually proven to have used steroids, his records get erased. Those balls still flew over the fence, but since they only did that because of a cheat, it is as if they never did. It is the same here:

The award she got in 1997 was "MIT Excellence Award for Leading Change." The change that she led was the fraud she committed! Lowering standards - that was her pet cause and how she cheated. It is exactly the same as getting off the subway to win the Boston Marathon.

russ_watters
Mentor
Let me put it another way:

If she hadn't been a fraud, would she have made lowering expectations as her pet cause? I'm not a pshrink, so I don't know which was the cause and which the effect, but I have to think they are two parts of the same problem in her mind.

So...if she hadn't been a champion for change, would she have gotten the job? The awards? Being a champion for change in standards is what likely got her the job and what definitely got her at least one of the awards. And being a champion for change is her fraud.

It is actually a little worse than I had thought yesterday. You can lie on an application and still be the best at it (whether sports or a job). But her performance itself was based on the same lie that got her the job.

Last edited: