Family of Circles through Two Points: Exists Any Circle Beyond?

• I
  • Thread starter Devil Moo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Circles
In summary: Which makes sense, because the centers of the circles must lie on the perpendicular bisector of the line segment connecting the two points. So it forms a line with the slope determined by the points, with the exception of the point where the two circles intersect, which forms a degenerate case of a line.
Devil Moo
Supposed 2 circles ##C_1 : x^2 + y^2 + {f_1}x + {g_1}y + h_1 = 0## and ##C_2 : x^2 + y^2 + {f_2}x + {g_2}y + h_2 = 0## through two points.

A family of circles can be constructed as ##x^2 + y^2 + {f_1}x + {g_1}y + h_1 + k(x^2 + y^2 + {f_2}x + {g_2}y + h_2) = 0##.

By altering the k, an infinitely number of circles through those two points are obtained. So is any circle existed that it cannot be obtained by the family of circles?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Well, for what value of ##k## does one get back ## C_2## ?

BvU said:
Let ##C = \{C_1, C_2, C_3, ...\}## be the set of equations of circles through those two points.
Can we get all the elements of ##C## from the family of circles?

BvU said:
You get back ##C_1## when choosing ##k=0##. But ##C_2## ?

BvU said:
You get back ##C_1## when choosing ##k=0##. But ##C_2## ?
Um... choosing ##\lim_{k \rightarrow \infty} k##?

You cannot do that, k has to be a real number. Do the variables have to have the same value for C2 and the class of circles?

If all the variables apart from k are fixed in the family of circles, then there are certainly circles not included in that family - your family has just one degree of freedom while the set of all circles in a plane has three.

##f_1, f_2, g_1, g_2, h_1, h_2## are fixed.

Do ##x, y## count as degree of freedom?Do ##f, g, h## have relationship to make circle passing through those points?

No, ##x## and ##y## are subject to the equations. ##f_1, f_2, g_1, g_2, h_1, h_2## are six degrees of freedom, but four of those are needed to let the circles go through the two points ##(x_1,y_1)## and also through ##(x_2, y_2)##. The other two can be found from the radii of ##C_1## and ##C_2##.

In the family of circles there is one degree of freedom (k). Makes sense, because the centers of the circles are constrained to be located on the perpendicular bisector of the line segment from ##(x_1,y_1)## to ##(x_2, y_2)##.

But ##C2## isn't in the family...

BvU said:
But ##C2## isn't in the family...
How about modify the argument that exclude ##C_2##?

I am not sure what you mean with that question ?

Devil Moo said:
Do x, y count as degree of freedom?
No.

Your family of circles is not necessarily a family of circles, by the way. Many pairs of circles lead to empty sets for the second equation.

BvU said:
I am not sure what you mean with that question ?
How about now ##C = \{ C_1, C_3, C_4, ...\}##?
Can we get all the elements of ##C## from the family of circles?

mfb said:
Your family of circles is not necessarily a family of circles, by the way. Many pairs of circles lead to empty sets for the second equation.
Sorry. I do not get it.

Devil Moo said:
Sorry. I do not get it.
As example, consider:
C1: ##x^2+y^2-4x-4y+7=0##
C2: ##x^2+y^2+4x+4y+7=0##
For k=1, how does the corresponding figure look like?
Ck=1: ##2x^2+2y^2+14=0##. Try to find solutions for that.

Not sure I like this example: C1 and C2 have no points in common...

I'm embarking on some real work now (yuck, against my nature) by bringing in another example:

##C_1 :\ x^2 + (y-1)^2 = 5\quad ## and ##\ C_2 :\ x^2 + (y+1)^2 = 5\quad ## with ##\ (-2,0)\ ## and ##\ (2,0) \ ## in common.

For ##k = -1## we get no solution, for ##k\ne -1## we get
$$C_k:\ x^2 + \left (y- {1-k\over 1+k}\right )^2 = 5 + \left ({1-k\over 1+k}\right )^2$$ if I'm not mistaken.
Circles through the two common points with center ##\ \left (0,{1-k\over 1+k} \right )\ ##.

That means we found an infinity of circles trough the two common points, but not all of them:
we don't have ##C_2## in the family, and got one black sheep (a no solution non-circle) in return.

Ah, the "through two points" mean they intersect. Okay, then it works, k=-1 as exception (where the equation becomes linear - it has solutions, but not a circle).

mfb said:
it has solutions
You're right - I made a sign error and overlooked that ##y=\pm {1\over 2}## solves ##C_{-1}##. Funny case.

The family of circles going through the two points in ##C_1 \cap C_2## is given by ##k_1(x^2+y^2 + f_1x+g_1y+h_1) + k_2(x^2+y^2 + f_2x+g_2y+h_2) = 0##, where ##k_1## and ##k_2## are not both zero. You retrieve the same circle whenever ##k_1## and ##k_2## are scaled by some constant ##\lambda \not = 0##. In other words, such a circle uniquely determines a point ##(k_1:k_2)## on the projective line ##\mathbb{P}^1## and vice versa. The degenerate case is the point ##(k_1:k_2) = (1:-1)##, in which case you end up with a line. In this sense, the affine line ##\mathbb{A}^1 \cong \mathbb{P}^1 \backslash \{(1:-1)\}## parametrizes the family of circles going through these two points.

BvU said:
Circles through the two common points with center ##\ \left (0,{1-k\over 1+k} \right )\ ##.
When I construct a equation of circle passing through ##(-2, 0)## and ##(2, 0)## which is not ##C_2##, that equation can be retrieved by ##C_k##. If we plot the center of all circles passing through two points, I think it must be a straight line.

disregardthat said:
The family of circles going through the two points in ##C_1 \cap C_2## is given by ##k_1(x^2+y^2 + f_1x+g_1y+h_1) + k_2(x^2+y^2 + f_2x+g_2y+h_2) = 0##, where ##k_1## and ##k_2## are not both zero.
By this expression, does it obtain all circles and straight line passing through 2 points?

BvU said:
You're right - I made a sign error and overlooked that ##y=\pm {1\over 2}## solves ##C_{-1}##. Funny case.
How come no one puts me right there ? ## (y+1)^2 - (y-1)^2 = 0\quad## gives y = 0. One single straight line through both points in the example. No 'funny case' at all, just a sensible limiting case.
Devil Moo said:
If we plot the center of all circles passing through two points, I think it must be a straight line.
Yep, the y-axis in the example. Minus the point ##(-1,0)## :smile:

Devil Moo said:
When I construct a equation of circle passing through ##(-2, 0)## and ##(2, 0)## which is not ##C_2##, that equation can be retrieved by ##C_k##. If we plot the center of all circles passing through two points, I think it must be a straight line.By this expression, does it obtain all circles and straight line passing through 2 points?

Yes. The degenerate case can also be thought of as a generalized circle.

Is k served as a parameter to choose the center points of the circle passing through those two points, for k != -1?

Yes.

1. How can you prove that a family of circles exists through two given points?

To prove that a family of circles exists through two given points, we can use the method of analytic geometry. This involves finding the equation of a circle with a center at one of the given points and then varying the radius to create a family of circles.

2. Is the family of circles through two points unique?

No, the family of circles through two points is not unique. This is because there are an infinite number of circles that can pass through two given points. Each circle in the family will have a different radius and therefore a different equation.

3. Can any circle be a part of the family of circles through two points?

Yes, any circle with a center at one of the given points and a radius that allows it to pass through the other given point can be a part of the family of circles through two points. However, not all circles will have this property.

4. How many circles are in the family through two points?

As mentioned before, there are an infinite number of circles in the family through two points. This is because we can continuously vary the radius of the circle to create an infinite number of circles that pass through the two given points.

5. Are all circles in the family through two points tangent to each other?

No, not all circles in the family through two points will be tangent to each other. There may be some circles in the family that do not intersect with each other at all, while others may intersect at two points. However, there will always be some circles in the family that are tangent to each other at the two given points.