1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Family of functions etc

1. Apr 23, 2007 #1
    The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    [​IMG]

The attempt at a solution

[​IMG]
    I want to find the sign (i.e. max or min) of the function, however I'm not quite sure if my last step (deriv>0 for x>a/2) and hence deriv<0 for for x<a/2 is correct. I think this is a better idea than finding the double derivative because it starts to get messy.
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 23, 2007 #2

mjsd

Homework Helper

NB: x=0 is also a critical point
    look at the 2nd derivative to check the nature of turning point.. and it doesn't get that messy... product rule is a bit like binomial theorem

4. Apr 23, 2007 #3
    Oh yeh, you get the x=0 by dividing 0 by that exponential correct! :approve:

Using double derivative method I get...

[​IMG]

But for f''(a/2) the answer will be in terms of a. Hope you can read what I've written, but how would I determine if f''(x) is positive? (I know a>0, but I'm still confused)

5. Apr 23, 2007 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Also the nonzero critical point is not at a/2. It's at 2/a. You might find it's a lot easier to recognize the sign of f'' if you put in the right number for the critical point.

6. Apr 23, 2007 #5
    silly me....:yuck:

7. Apr 23, 2007 #6
    I figure out f"(2/a) = -2e^(-2)
    which is a negative number hence at x=2/a a maximum occurs

*thumbsup*

For part c) I'm assuming I just solve for f" = 0?

8. Apr 23, 2007 #7

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

By the way, you very first statement, that "the limit, as |x| goes to infinity is 0, because e-x is 0 is wrong. x2e-x goes to 0 as x goes to + infinity, but increases without bound as x goes to negative infinity.

9. Apr 24, 2007 #8
    Thanks for pointing that out. I'm still stuck on c). Is it simply letting f"(x) = 0?

10. Apr 24, 2007 #9

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

"Points of inflection" are places where the derivative changes sign. Those can only occur, of course, at places where the second derivative is 0 but you should then check that the first derivative actually does change sign.

11. Apr 24, 2007 #10
    Yeh, for the first derivate at x=0 a minimum occurs and at x=2/a a maximum occurs.

Im having problems solving for f"(x) = 0 though. I take out e^-ax as a common factor but I'm then left with (-2xa) + (x^2a^2) + 2 - 2x = 0

:confused: :confused:

12. Apr 24, 2007 #11

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I don't quite agree with your result for f''(x) with the exponential factored out. But once you get it right, then this looks like a job for the quadratic formula, doesn't it?

13. Apr 24, 2007 #12
    I just double checked and it still seems right to me. Can you suggest what you think is wrong?

14. Apr 24, 2007 #13

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I get a -4*a*x and no 2*x term.

15. Apr 25, 2007 #14
    yeah, you are right, the an a went missing in the -2*x term which would have made it -4xa by grouping with the other -2xa.

so after all that I get...
    [​IMG]
    somebody hinted to use quadratic formula, so a= a^2, b= -4x, c =2 etc etc

figure all that out to get...
    [​IMG]

correct? (crosses fingers)

16. Apr 25, 2007 #15

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You're getting there. Do you mean (sqrt(2))*a or sqrt(2*a). The former, I hope.

17. Apr 25, 2007 #16
    Yeh, just extended the roof over a in my working...
    silly error :yuck:

Now for part d). I'm really puzzled as to how you would prove something like this mathematically especially given the unknown a.

18. Apr 25, 2007 #17

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You have tons of information about the function. Sketch a graph and label significant points in terms of a. Also examine the limiting behavior of the function as x->+/- infinity.

19. Apr 25, 2007 #18
    I can't figure out the limiting behaviour as x-> - infinity.

x^2 will become infinity, but at the same time e^-(ax) will become a very small number. In graphical terms, what does that mean?

20. Apr 25, 2007 #19

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What kind of a number is -a*x if a>0 and x<0? I don't think e^(-ax) gets small at all. If you mean x->+infinity do you know L'Hopital's rule (judging from the problem you are working on you might not).

21. Apr 25, 2007 #20
    oh, my bad! I don't know that rule, can you please explain?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?