Family Of Sets Intersecting once

• Thread starter Robert1986
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sets
In summary, there is a problem involving a collection of subsets with a certain property and it is required to prove that the total number of elements in all of these subsets is less than or equal to n√n. Two potential approaches to solving this problem are using the pigeonhole principle or using induction.
Robert1986

Homework Statement

This isn't exactly a homework question, but I saw it in a book, and I think it is interesting:
Let [itex] S_1,\ldots,S_n[/itex] be a collection of subsets of [tex]\{1,\ldots,n\}[/itex] such that [itex]|S_i \cap S_j| \leq 1[/itex] whenever [itex]i\neq j[/itex]. Then the total number of elements in all of the lists is less than or equal to [itex] n\sqrt{n}[/itex].

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So, I thought about looking at the subset lattice, particularly the \sqrt{n} +1 level. I want to show that every collection of n-sets from this level has at least two such that [itex]|S_i \cap S_j| > 1[/itex]. Like I said, this isn't a homework problem, but it looks interesting. Also, the book says that it should be "easy" but I just can't seem to get it. Any ideas?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Hello,

Thank you for sharing this interesting problem. It seems like you have already made some progress in your approach by considering the subset lattice. However, I would suggest trying to approach this problem from a different angle.

One approach could be to use the pigeonhole principle. Since we have n subsets, and each subset can have at most n elements, we can think of each element as a pigeon and each subset as a pigeonhole. If we can show that there are more pigeons than pigeonholes, then we can conclude that at least one pigeonhole must have more than one pigeon. In other words, there must be at least two subsets with a common element.

Another approach could be to use induction. We can start with the base case of n=2, where we have two subsets of {1,2} and the total number of elements is 2. Then, for the inductive step, we can assume that the statement is true for n=k and try to prove it for n=k+1. This would involve showing that if we add one more subset to the collection, the total number of elements cannot exceed (k+1)√(k+1).

I hope these suggestions are helpful. Good luck with solving this problem!

What is a family of sets intersecting once?

A family of sets intersecting once refers to a group of sets in which each set shares at least one common element with every other set in the group. This means that the intersection of any two sets in the family will always contain at least one element.

How is a family of sets intersecting once different from a regular family of sets?

A regular family of sets does not necessarily have to have sets that intersect with each other. In a family of sets intersecting once, all sets must have at least one element in common with every other set in the group.

What is the importance of studying families of sets that intersect once?

Studying families of sets that intersect once can help in understanding the relationships between sets and how they are connected. It is also useful in finding common elements between sets and identifying patterns in data.

Can a family of sets intersecting once have more than two sets?

Yes, a family of sets intersecting once can have any number of sets. As long as each set in the family has at least one element in common with every other set, it is considered a family of sets intersecting once.

How are families of sets intersecting once used in real-world applications?

Families of sets intersecting once have many applications in fields such as data analysis, biology, and computer science. They are used to identify commonalities between data sets, in genetic mapping, and in network analysis to identify connections between different nodes.