1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Family of surfaces (Diff Geometry)

1. May 11, 2008 #1
    Here is a question i am not sure how to tackle, I am not familiar with how to deal with family of curves and don't really have much time to look around for the definition as i am sitting the exam in two days.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

(this link has an image of the problem)

2. Relevant equations
    hmmm, anything from differential geometry ie fundamental forms, theory of surfaces ...

3. The attempt at a solution

The question is divided into three parts: Here is my attempt any help appreciated.
    1) I am have no idea, i think it is a case of knowing the definition and i don't.

2) It is simply constraining the local parametrization to the given function so:
    [itex] xz-hy=> v*sin(u)=h(1-cos(u))=> h= v*sin(u)/(1-cos(u))[/itex] which is a constant.

3) [itex]\psi(u,v)=const[/itex] is like phi therefore the tangent vectors to the family defined by the psi are of the multiples of [itex]\psi_{v}x_{u}-\psi_{u}x_{v}[/itex]
    So for the families to be orthogonal their tangent must be orthogonal and so[itex](\psi_{v}x_{u}-\psi_{u}x_{v}).(\phi_{v}x_{u}-\phi_{u}x_{v})=0[/itex]
    Using the fundamental forms E=1=G and F=0 we get [itex]\psi_{v}\phi_{v}+\psi_{u}\phi_{u}=0[/itex] which after differentiating gives [itex]\psi_{v}\sin(u)-\psi_{u}v=0[/itex]

And after that i am stuck ... any help would be appreciated.
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?